Topic

Pyramid-style cuben shelter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Pyramid-style cuben shelter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

That looks really good

How do you get in?

Must be an opening on the other side

There must be two center poles. Do you sleep between them or to one side?

Rob van Dun
    BPL Member

@roobe

I get in using Steve Evans' worm moves underneath the front wall and then from the inside remove the stakes for some more tension. I could also use the 90cm long waterproof YKK 5 zipper:)

Regarding the poles, there are two indeed and I will use this shelter mainly for 2 persons so one at each side of the poles. I will add a cord between the wristcords of both poles as a clothing line and to suspend a bugbivy when needed.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

That's awesome. I look forward to more pictures, especially showing how it handles the snow.

Carl Umland
    BPL Member

@chumland

Locale: Pacific Crest Trail, mostly

WOW! That's a great looking shelter and the cat arch should add to its tautness for wind shedding. What's the weight? What were your costs? Can you post photos of the details like the seams and stake out points. Are the dimensions the same as your original post?
    My current favorite shelter is the Shangri-la 2 and If I could get/make one simular in cuben that would be "the bomb".
    Best,
    Carl in San Diego

Michael Meiser

@mmeiser

Locale: Michigan

So what's the final weight?

If I had an ideal UL shelter it would be an asymetricla mid design like this.

I would not however take poles. I do however bicycle tour so technically I always have one pole with me.

Your design is basically it, but I might do the foot differently and put in a couple more ridgeline ties. The idea being that I could run a ridgeline inside, or outside the the shelter from tree (or bike) to ground, or tree-to-tree to ensure maximum internal space.

I'd also make the door unzippable from the top or the bottom, and the foot velcro. This would allow me to open up the tent like a tarp for more versatile use.

I have some material, good for protyping, hopefully I'll get to it one of these days.

Right now I'm using a shangri-la 3 for winter touring. New. It's so very close in functionality if not design. Also, as I carry it, sans pole, it weighs 1lb 10oz. Yeah! Just wish i had the time before my 30+ day winter trip to to source titanium for a chimney stove.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Carl – Have you had your Shangri-La 2 out in the snow?

Carl Umland
    BPL Member

@chumland

Locale: Pacific Crest Trail, mostly

I haven't had my SL2 shelter in the snow or hard rain but strong gusting winds. It's considered to be a 4 season shelter.
    Best,
    Carl in San Diego

Michael Meiser

@mmeiser

Locale: Michigan

I don't have a shangri-la 2, but I have found this, as I'm sure most mid users already know.

I was absolutely amazed at how well my shangri-la three handled wind. Have had it only just over a week, slept out in it many times, has seen 35+ mph winds, first thing I noticed that amazed me is handles wind, no flapping, quiet, amazing.

The stakes it comes with are inadequet for all but the firmest dirt, especially in high wind, but then given the variety of terrain / snow this will see improvising stakes is really the only way to go anyway.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Rob, it looks really good.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Nice Job Rob..

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools