Topic

Are you guys bringing weather monitoring devices?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Are you guys bringing weather monitoring devices?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Chris

Be aware that where-ever you store it, the device may be subject to heating from the sun or from your body. Also, when stored inside your tent at night it will record a few degrees higher than outside: that always happens with a tent. Um … under a tarp the difference between 'inside' and 'outside' may not be very much!

One (Temp only) goes inside my pack. Really, it's just a backup. Small bag with drawcord clipped to something, or in wallet security pocket, or maybe stored right at the bottom of the bladder sleeve. Now remember to retrieve it when you get home!

The other goes in a custom sort of thread-on porous pocket inside a loose PU-coated nylon cover on one of the compression straps on my pack. The cover protects it from the rain, while the porous pocket makes very sure it does not get lost, and allows the humidity to equilibrate. Yes, if the sun is on that side it will influence the temperature recorded. Ho hum – but the same sun influences how hot I feel, so … Nothing is perfect!

Cheers

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

"It says your cheapo Min/Max Thermometer has an alarm. Do you know / could you check if it continues to sound until you have to physically turn it off? Or will it only sound for like ~10 seconds at a time?"

Hi Christopher. I just checked this and for the cheapo unit that I have (Coghlan’s C-Tech Time Temperature Digital Dangler) the alarm continued to sound for exactly one minute and then stopped. It's not a super loud alarm, you would likely want to place it fairly close to your head, I think perhaps about normal alarm type and volume for a watch alarm.

I'd also note that the user interface on this type of unit is about as bad as on a typical watch. I.e., without explicit instructions you might well find that you just can't figure out how to adjust and set/unset the alarm (!). In any event, I resorted to the instructions just now to figure it out.

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools