Topic

a roomier sleeping bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) a roomier sleeping bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Philip Strickland

@mtnbnd

My wife hates her mummy…to confining. Currently she’ s using a 20 degree Cat’ s Meow by The North Face. Not exactly light by UL standards but the price was right and it’s under 3lb. I’ve been trying to find something a little roomier that’s functional and reasonably priced. Campmor has a Slumberjack Super Guide 30 degree Thermolite Extreme…Isn’t that a mouthful…(2lbs 5oz) for $60. The stats sound pretty good but I don’t have any experience with slumberjack quality, durabilty, accuracy etc,etc.Any feedback or other suggestions would be appreciated.

E. H. Clemmons
    BPL Member

@sclemmons

If you are going to spend the money anywhere, spend it on whatever it takes to make your wife comfortable. Mine has a Western Mountaineering Aspen, but she could have had anything she wanted. In the long run, having her go with you is cheaper than leaving her at home. The Aspen costs a multiple of $60, but it will open flat, and will sleep two with its summer “coupler”, and it will double as a quilt in the hammock on your solo trip.
    Good luck at your $60 price point. I have my doubts about Slumberjack vs your existing bag.

Philip Strickland

@mtnbnd

Wrong assumption.Like you there’s not much if anything that I would deny my wife, especially if the alternative is not having her join me on my adventures. I also outfit our 4 children who are also avid hikers. (consider 6 bags at an average price of $150 ea = $900… it adds up quick)I don’t have a problem purchasing high priced, high quality gear but when outfitting six it only makes sense to make sure you’re getting the best bang for the buck. (why pay a higher price for Tylenol when you can buy acetaminophine for less). I understand of course that this doesn’t always translate into the gear world and hense the question about the durabilty, quality,etc of an off brand like slumberjack as opposed to a name brand like Mountain Hardwear who provides some of my favorite gear. Don’t mean to sound defensive but I am when someone suggest that I’d skimp on my wife. Thanks for the recommendation of the WM Aspen I’ll take a look.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!