Topic

Consumable Juggling balls

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Consumable Juggling balls

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

In the “One Luxury” thread under the topic “General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion” I submitted as my luxury, 3 footbag/juggling balls. Obviously stretching the definition of one. Larry got me thinking of ways to lighten my juggling balls and it occurred to me to package my food into juggling balls. I don’t know rather this fits better under “Make Your Own Gear” or not, but here is my solution.
    test
    This picture illustrates everything you will need and the final product.

1. Empty the contents of 2 packages of oatmeal into a sandwich bag. One package of oatmeal is not enough for me, besides two packages makes a perfect sized ball.

2. Cut the ends you blow into off of the balloons where the balloon begins to widen.

3. Stuff the sandwich bag full of oats into one of the balloons. It’s not as hard as it sounds.

4. Stuff the first balloon into the second with the opened end of the first pointed toward the closed end of the second. You don’t want the opened ends to line up.

This package is waterproof, reusable, quite durable and fun. Anything that encourages playing with food is good :). Latex does degrade over time, so this is not recommended for long term use.

Summit CO

@summit

Locale: 9300ft

but but but if you eat… you can’t juggle anymore! ;-)

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Maybe I’ll finally learn to contact juggle. The price of gorging ones self is high :).

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

So this is where you hid out, hmmm…granite gear is making a bias cut stuff sack that looks like a small football so you can toss your vest,jacket,pillow in a lake.
    Now with three of these filled with food you can have a challenging shape to juggle with.
    I’ll even buy you the first to get you started.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Eric,
    Great idea.

I would take your idea one additional step. Since I have to eat Dry Ensure I could package my dry stuff in long balloons and the ones I empty each day I could use for a Balloon Bed Air Pad to sleep on each night. I have to carry the Dry Ensure in something why not a light weight balloon.

Daniel Roberts

@whiteagle

Thanks, I’m definitely going to do this.

I’d never heard of contact juggling before, so I wikipedia it. It says that it’s juggling without letting the ball leave contact with your body and shows some moron with a ball sitting on the back of his hand. I’m thinking unless this a new therapy for metally disabled kids, there must be more to it. So on to youtube, sort by ratings, click the first one and WOW!!! I mean the lighting and camera work is bad enough to ruin most videos for me, but all I can say is WOW.

Mark
    BPL Member

@mlarson

Locale: SoCal

Contact juggling can be pretty cool. It’s a lot like watching someone who’s really good at footbag or a breakdancer who can pop really well (see YouTube for hundreds of great examples). Having that kind of control of your body is so impressive.
    -Mark

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools