Topic

Joshua Tree Run???

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Joshua Tree Run???

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

What do you think about running the CHRT across Joshua Tree?

It's ~40 miles from the Black Rock trailhead to the North park entrance, or optionally ~30 miles to the trailhead near Belle/White Tank. I'm interested in the 30 mile version right now-the last ten is along the road. I'm looking to do this in the next few weeks.
    A partner/car shuttle would make the trip easier in many ways so let me know if you might be interested.
    I was thinking something along the lines of heading to Black Rock on a Friday night- setting up a campsite, shuttling cars, stashing water/food at Ryan Campground, and running the next morning…driving home Saturday night after a car shuttle back.

All finishers will receive a commemorative, one of a kind, hand made, super-cool, personalized ceramic BEER stein. (I'm a potter).

Otherwise it looks like I'll leave my car at Cottonwood and cycle back to Black Rock the night before.

Anybody interested?

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

A great resounding Yes. If only Joshua was about 600 miles closer to me. This sounds like an excellent run Craig, if anything for a custom thrown stein full of a celebratory microbrew. I'm hoping someone is able to make it out to join you for this. Right on.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I wanted to invite you personally Eugene, but I figured the travel would be too much.

If you're ever out this way, give me a holler.

Don't worry, the beer steins for a Grand Canyon R2R2R will be in the works!

Brandon Sanchez

@dharmabumpkin

Locale: San Gabriel Mtns

I am really interested in joining you. Looks to be 27.7 miles according to my Tom Harrison JT NP map.
    What weekend are you thinking about specifically? I can't go in the next few weeks as I'm running an 18k on Nov21st and a marathon on Dec5th.
    This does look like a fantastic run- lots of small ups and downs and probably pretty soft underfoot.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Cool!

I'm open- I think a Friday/Sat would be best.
    I have a race on Dec. 12th (Sunday I think). Hmmm, maybe the 3rd weekend of December would work for both of us?
    Next weekend is Thanksgiving so I'll be busy with family, but anything else could probably work on my end.

Let work on it.

Brandon Sanchez

@dharmabumpkin

3rd weekend of December works for me too. Lets make tentative plans for that weekend. This will work out perfectly for me to keep my conditioning up for the Calico Trail Run 50K in Jan16.

For another big day before your R2R2R I'd be down to run the Gabrielino Trail too. I like the idea of running w/o race fees.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Cool! I also love the idea of staying away from paying for races.

The Gabrielino Trail is a good run- that's my backyard. I'd definitely do it again- it was my first solo ~50K (I guess it's a little shorter, somewhere in the 28-30 range, but who's counting).

Another good local big run for us is the Silver Moccasin Trail, ~50 miles and doing a lot of the Angeles high country….I've had my eye on this a long time but haven't done it yet. Will likely do it as a single night backpacking trip to get the lay of the land first.

There are also all sorts of cool loops that can be done in the Baldy area, as well as some big runs circumnavigating San Jacinto or simply doing the summit and back from the desert floor.

We should team up!

Brandon Sanchez

@dharmabumpkin

I'd be interested in more runs too… but I dont know about 50 miles quite yet! Im still new at this- its all uncharted territory for me but I still want to push the envelope a bit. Also, Im pretty slow, so running 'together' will probably have you out in front and me in the back hah. Let me know about your less crazy ideas. Maybe this summer I'll be ready for something like Rae Lakes Loop.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I sent you a PM, lets talk about all this.

If anyone else gets interested, PM me.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

I'm always interested in stuff like this also.
    A bit busy right now so don't know about the Joshua Tree run.
    But its always nice to have company on long runs.
    I've done a bunch of long training runs at San Jacinto the last couple years (most of them solo).
    Nice to explore new territory too.
    Keep me in the loop.
    I have several years of distance experience, but I'm not fast.

Art

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

PM sent Craig.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Craig,

I think the actual mileage from Black Rock Canyon Campground to the backcountry board near the north entrance is around 33 miles; but I have heard it is 37.

I have yo-yo'd this trail (CRHT section) in two days and was only hiking. But start at the BC board near the North entrance (you can leave your car there) and run/hike to Black Rock campground. It is one of the few campgrounds in the park with water. More than likely you will not get a campsite on a weekend, but you can get water and backtrack for a wilderness campsite. Then re-trace the route the 2nd day. The trail is pretty moderate. Just in case, you can cache some water near Ryan.

Watch the temps in December. This Friday night near Jumbo Rocks the low was around 30F. I have been in the area in December where temps got down into the 20s and even lower.

Brandon Sanchez

@dharmabumpkin

Come along Nick, we know its not too long of a haul for you.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Not too long to walk, but running would be more like work to me:)

brian blair

@donkey

Locale: Silverado Canyon

Hey there-

I'm interested in any and all runs/long days afoot in Southern California. I'm in Orange County but spend alot of time in the San Bernardinos.

I just recently did a double summit/up and over up and over of San Gorgonio. That was a great run/hike.

Anyways, put me on your contact list for this type of stuff!

[email protected]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools