Topic

CubenCN1K.08 versus 30d domestic type 66 silnylon

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear CubenCN1K.08 versus 30d domestic type 66 silnylon

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

Test 2

CubenCN1K.08 versus 30d domestic type 66 silnylon.
    number 14 needle, 46b thread (7lbs per stitch), 6 stitches
    per inch.

Center seam two rows of stitches, no folding or felling.

Pulled to failure.CubenCN1K.08 versus 30d domestic type 66 silnylon aCubenCN1K.08 versus 30d domestic type 66 silnylon bCubenCN1K.08 versus 30d domestic type 66 silnylon c

cuben remains stronger in this situation

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

After pulls like that it seems like the cuben I've played with develops whitish "stretch marks," & the spectra fibers seem to get pulled out of whack. Obviously the cuben reigned supreme in your tests. But what does your gut (or experience) say about the cuben stretch marks? It seems to me like that'd be a sign of delamination of the mylar/spectra? Some kind of shifting of the fibers? Is the cuben markedly weaker after such a pull from that point? Or does it change the pitch or anything of a shelter? It seems like permanent damage to me, but I don't know if there's a functional difference.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools