Topic

help me pick out a new ski setup for my wife

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking help me pick out a new ski setup for my wife

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

First off I'm not a skier (snowshoer), so my knowledge level is on the low side. My wife currently has a set of old waxless Fishers, circa mid 70's- an entry level basic x country ski as near as I can tell. They work OK, but I think the lack of metal edges is one of the reasons they are only OK.

I'd like to get her into something a little more conducive for backcountry touring (nothing hardcore) when I go snowshoeing. I'd also like the skis to be still suitable for romps around the golf course, her favorite winter exercise. She isn't in to telemarking/downhill so doesn't need to lean that way.

Waxless as she wants prefers the simplicity.

Suggestions on skis, bindings and boots (something a little on the warm side would be helpful) would be most welcome :)

thanks in advance

Mike

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

To snowshoeing, that is. ;)

It's actually rather tough to do a ski/snowshoe trip. Skis are much faster in some situations (breaking trail in deep snow, hard snow), snowshoes faster in others (very steep ups, bushwacking). I'd suggest getting yourself some skis, or her some snowshoes.

The other issue is that a ski rig good for golf course cruising will be too skinny for breaking trail, and fatter skis with metal edges will be heavy and feel slow on the course.

All that said, I'd get one of the lightest/skinniest full metal edge skis available, some NNN-BC bindings, and burlier NNN-BC boots.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Boots like these?

Fischer BCX 6 Backcountry Ski Boots
    http://www.rei.com/product/791112

Alpina NNN BC 1550 Backcountry Boots – Men's
    http://www.rei.com/product/743063

or something heavier, and if heavier, could you provide some examples?

I've been learning from this thread as well. Been looking to move beyond snowshoeing and x-country skiing to backcountry skiing, but like Roger C, more x-country style point A to point B skiing than big mountain screaming downhills. For this type of skiing, with a 20-30 lb pack or pulk, would you stay away from plastic/AT setups, even light ones?

Powder hounds touring in big mountain areas with 20-35 lb packs seem to need plastic boots and strong bindings for control and likely warmth.

PS Please make sure you get avalanche training and pay attention to weather and snow pack conditions – surprisingly safe looking areas can be dangerous.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I've skied a little and someday might join in the fun more often :)

she's enjoys skiing enough don't know I'd get her into snowshoes, more likely it will be me joining her

I know there is some dichotomy in my request, but being super fast at the gold course isn't a goal- just a setup that wouldn't prohibit that activity

conversely nothing too extreme on the backcountry end of the scale either

thinner, metal edged skis sounds like what I should be looking for- how would you rate the Fischer E89 or 99's in that regard? others that I should look into?

I'll look into the NNN bindings and compatible boots

thanks!

Mike

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Mike my wife and I are looking for exactly the same – please let me know what you zero in on in the end. I'll share any suggestions from our local backcountry club and other forums.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

well with two of us digging into it, we should be able to come up w/ something :)

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

I'm sort of at the same spot as you guys and I have 99% settled on the Alpina 1555s but for a three-pin binding.

From what I have learned, any boot with a hard shell will overpower my skis just a bit and not be comfortable for all-day wear.

I also just want to get from point A to point B with a short pitch thrown in if I get really ambitious.

This will be my set up when I'm done:

Karhu Lookout skis (175cm length, 70/60/63 sidecut)
    Rotefella thee-pin bindings
    Alpina 1575 boots

Looking into avalanche training now.

I can't wait to give it a go!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ looked up those skis- look like they may be discontinued??? (saw some good prices on used ones though)

random selection of skis that look they MIGHT work

Fischer E89- not overly wide, sounds like a decent compromise ski

Fischer Silent Spider- sounds like this ski was built as a "compromise" ski- still metal edged

Rossignol BC 65 or 70 skis, 70 a little more backcountry orientated than the 65, both metal edged

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

The Karhu Lookouts are older and discontinued and I did get a good deal on a used pair.

Boots turn out to be a real hassle to find used because of the size differences.

I googled "Craigslist Boot X" every night until I went crazy and never found anything I was interested in. If you stay away from hardshell, they're not too expensive.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

The Fischer E89 and E99 both look good. Fatter than the E99 is a turning point, as much bigger won't fit in groomed tracks.

A boot like the Salomon X-Adv 6 or Rossignol BC X-7 will provide a little more power for turning and stopping in funky snow than boots without some sort of plastic cuff, and the cuff strap can be kept loose for kicking and gliding.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

What type of ski would you recommend if you don't care about groomed tracks? Sincere apologizes for thread hijack…Even the local golf course probably doesn't have much in the way of groomed track.

My wife and I are at a point where we would either buy a pair of used skis for groomed tracks or just rent them for the once-in-a-while track ski, as we're more interested in traveling into backcountry now.

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Thanks Rog. Sounds like you will be doing the kind of skiing we are looking to do. Where did you hear about this setup? Is there a particular forum or blog that was very helpful?

Will this setup perform well carrying a 20-30 lb pack or pulling a pulk?

Will you be using skins with this setup and if so which ones?

What type of downhill do you think this will handle in terms of turning control for a given steepness?

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

In many cold parts of the country, snow falls and stays fairly consistent in its texture for a long time. For example, the high/cold parts of the Rocky Mountains. In that environment, if you know how to wax a waxable ski just right, you can get superior results. Unfortunately, I operate in California, and it is possible for the snow to fall and stay powdery/sugary for a while, but more typically it starts to transition within hours of the first day. A California ski tourer ends up going through four kinds of snow just before lunch time, and it is impractical to keep changing wax for that. So, waxless skis are practical for California snow, mostly for convenience. They aren't perfect for anything, but they are the practical solution of choice if you operate in a changeable snow environment.

Metal edges on skis come in several forms. One is a solid metal edge. One is a cracked metal edge where short segments interlock together. One is a partial metal edge. A solid edge is the most durable, but a cracked edge is more flexible and hence easier for carving a turn. Even if you are not a serious "turner," a metal edge ski is much more durable than an ordinary plastic edge ski. So, if you tour in the backcountry, it is a safety feature that may allow you to return in one piece. Metal edges do add more weight, but I think they add peace of mind.

–B.G.–

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

I have the Alpina's provided in the link above…darn good boot BTW

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

yeah our gold course doesn't have any groomed trails either, it's possible at some point she would have access to groomed trails- so if the E89 or 99 would suffice in the backcountry and still be able to be used in a groomed trail that would be plus :)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

found a good buy on the Rossignol BC 70 (it also appears to be pretty well thought of ski), pairing w/ BC NNN bindings and Rossignol BC X2 boots

they have a good buy on the BC 65's too, but it's a little thinner and would require a slightly longer ski- 169 vs 175, my wife does like the idea of a shorter ski (currently on 190's)

toying around w/ getting a set for myself :)

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Thanks Mike how do those compare with the Fischer E99 and Alpina Lite Terrain Backcountry skis?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

as near as I can tell the E99 (and E89) are a little more traditional in that they are longer than the newer crop

the Alpina Lite appears to be on the other end of the scale, in that's it's very wide and much shorter- looks like it should really excel downhill

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

went w/ the Fischer Silent Spiders at the last minute- reviews were good and my wife wanted to insure the skis weren't overly wide

btw LL Bean has the best packaged prices out there- w/ your choice of Rossignol BC 65 or 70 or Silent Spiders, boot choices are the Rossignol BC X2 or X5

not sure how long the coupon lasts, but take an additional 20 % w/ code NOVEMBER20- total for skis/boots/bindings/skis/install/shipping was $308 :)

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools