Topic

Trail Runners vs Light Backpackers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Trail Runners vs Light Backpackers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Peter Wise
    BPL Member

@pwise757

Locale: Northeast USA

I recently purchased a pair of light backpacking boots, Asolo Fugitive GTX and a copy of Backpacking Light. After reading the chapter on foot gear and weight, etc, I’m thinking about using my New Balance Trail Running shoes but couple it with Futuro Sport Ankle Supports I picked up at a phamacy chain store. I feel that I’d like to have the extra ankle support and loose an extra pound. Anyone have any experience with this proposed set-up?

Anonymous
    Inactive

2 things to be aware of with the supports: 1-they do not offer a lot of support in a backpacking situation in my experience. 2-circulation interference can become a problem as your feet begin to swell as the day wears on.

Elliot Lockwood

@elockwood

I don’t know about the ankle supports, but keep in mind that the Fugitive GTX boots are fairly lightweight for their capability and build. I use a pair of them sometimes, usually in winter.

Phil Barton
    BPL Member

@flyfast

Locale: Oklahoma

Peter, there are a lot of different opinions on this subject. I’ve found that the right footgear selection depends a lot on what you’re going to do. I’ve moved to progressively lighter boots and now shoes over the past few years. Just yesterday, I was on Mount Elbert, CO. To my surprise, one of the other hikers at the summit remarked about my running shoes. Of the 8-10 folks there, I was the only one in light running shoes. For trail hiking I have found that they offer all the support I need. Of course, I’ve also lightened the load I carry in my pack. I also now use light trekking poles. The total system works together. I encourage you to experiment and find what works best for you.

Besides saving weight, running shoes are cooler than even light boots and dry faster. Being cooler and dryer my feet blister much less. I like hiking in running shoes. YMMV.

Summit CO

@summit

Locale: 9300ft

I’ll hike in Tevas as long as the weather allows ;)

My primary non-winter footwear is aboout to become some 2.1 lbs light hiking boots though.

Peter Wise
    BPL Member

@pwise757

Thanks for the feedback Tom. I’m new to the ultralight concept, still absorbing LightWeight by Ryan Jordan. I began to wonder about the ridge at the end of the support and how that would feel after a few hours. I hadn’t thought about foot swelling. So for this weekends test run, i choose to wear my New Balance trail runners. I removed the stock insole insert and replaced it wth a SuperFeet verde. I kept supports for both my knees and ankles in my pack. I’m 50 and wanted the peace of mind. The superfoot really was a blessing making the short but steep decent down the face of Bear Mtn. Connecticut in the rain. I think they really protected my instep/arches and gave me the confidece to leave the ankle supports in the car next time.

Peter Wise
    BPL Member

@pwise757

Elliot, Thanks for mentioning winter hiking. After my first successful forray, albeit short, I was wondering what i was going to do with those new Asolo’s I’d just purchased. Since you have a pair, I hope you don’t mind answering a question for me. I find after breaking them in for 2 weeks, that the sole material is still quite slippery when wet. As it wears a bit, will they wear smooth and stay slippery, or will they develop a slightly rough texture and afford a bit more traction on mossy rocks? I had originally purchased them two weeks ago to begin breaking them in for a planned Rim to Rim of the GC in May 2007. But after my experinence this weekend, I may rethink that.

Elliot Lockwood

@elockwood

Peter,
    Sorry for the delayed response. The outsoles on the Fugitives are very dense rubber meant to last long, but is unfortunately not very “sticky”, as that type tends to wear down easier. Having said that, they have a large…”heal drop” (the vertical gap between the heel and the arch on the outsole)…for lack of a better description, which is very good at keeping you from sliding in loose rock or dirt. I’ve taken them down and up Bryce Canyon without slipping & sliding problems on its steep Under the Rim Trail.

Hope this helps.

ROBERT TANGEN
    Spectator

@robertm2s

Locale: Lake Tahoe

I’m just a beginner, but I think the lace-up ankle supports are useful with trail runners while bushwhacking, but the elastic type of supports cut off blood circulation.

Eric Carlsen

@cooleric1234

I have had many ankle problems and have long used the Active Ankle for basketball and volleyball (see link below). I’m considering it for hiking and backpacking. It has hinges on the side so it doesn’t inhibit the normal motion of the ankle, but it protects against rolling. I’ve found them to be reasonably light (considering you can use much lighter low-top shoes with them). I have used both the T1 and T2 models and the T1 is much, much more comfortable. The T2 sometimes hurts significantly after an hour of basketball, I can’t imagine what it would feel like after a whole day on the trail.

http://www.activeankle.com/

greg degler

@gregdegler

Locale: West

I frequent many trails, even on glaciers and snow, my feet usually clad in running shoes IF CONDITIONS ARE FAVORABLE (which they usually are). Mt. Whitney the last 2 or 3 times, yupp , in running shoes. Just cause they’re called running shoes doesn’t mean you have to run all the time in them. With care I have had fun on glaciers with aluminum crampons. And i’ve always been impressed by the huge and heavy gear toted by the majority most even sporting way too many clothes. You can lead a horse to water………………….
    thanks,
    safe journeys 2U,
    theThriftstoreMtneer
    NH

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools