Topic

Patagonia Houdini and Puffball XL

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Patagonia Houdini and Puffball XL

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Dave T

@davet

Hi all,

In case you are XL and want a bit of a deal on my two favorite layering pieces, the Patagonia.com "web specials" area has the Houdini for $90 and the Puffball Vest for $70, both in that muted greenish color.

Lots of other good deals in there, as usual.

Dug Shelby

@pittsburgh

Locale: Bay Area

Why did you have to do that? That deal was too good to pass up, and I got the last XL Houdini. :)

3.7 ounces? How did I overlook that in my PCT preparations?? It's perfect.

Dug
    http://thf2.wordpress.com

Dave T

@davet

You'll be very happy with it. I used a Marmot Driclime on my thru-hike, but I find the Houdini a much more useful item. Not too hot for most hiking, keeps bugs off, cuts the wind, etc. I use it often over a thin insulating layer, and then the Puff vest for more warmth. A great item for 4 oz.

Ryan Teale
    BPL Member

@monstertruck-2

Locale: Almost Yosemite

I just picked an alpha green Large on ebay for a little cheaper : ) It is probably a little heavier than 3.7oz with the stand up collar separate from the hood. According to Richard Nisley this iteration doesn't have the "epic type" DWR either. We will see when I get it.

Ryan

Arthur Forbes

@fnf

I have been trying to get one of these but I am thinking I need an XXL – I wear a XX in Marmot & MontBell and a XL in TNF and First Accent gear which is cut a little wider – would you say the Houdini was rather tight or loose for an XL?

Thanks!

Ryan Teale
    BPL Member

@monstertruck-2

I wear an XL in Montbell (EX Light Down and Alpine Light Down) and have a Large Montbell Peak Shell. All my Patagonia stuff is size Large.

Ryan

Brendan Mulholland
    BPL Member

@dools009

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I am 6"2 200lbs with broad shoulders. I wear an XL in Montbell and a Large T in F. Ascent. I can easily fit my XL houdini over my F. Ascent Downlight Hoodie (large) and even have room for an XL F. Ascent downlight vest inside (on top of the jacket). They are cut pretty generously, much larger than normal Patagonia XL's.

cheers,
    brendan

David Adair
    Spectator

@davidadair

Locale: West Dakota

Arthur,

The Houdini I ordered in an XL army green came today. I am about 6-0 and 220 lbs so usualy an XL will fit fine. My chest measures 44 inches and I found it a bit tighter in that area than I prefer. I can zip it over a medium fleece and it doesn't bind but it needs another inch for a decent fit. I wear a 34 sleeve and it is just long enough to cover my arms -but no pulling cold hands in. Hope this helps.

Can anybody recommend a similar item (full zip, hood, DWR, 4 oz) that is available in a larger size?

Ryan Teale
    BPL Member

@monstertruck-2

I don't have any experience with it but Marmot makes the Trail Wind Hoody in XXL. Weight isn't listed on the Marmot site but the fabric is 1.6oz per square versus 1.1oz for the Houdini. Backcountry.com lists it at 4oz.

Ryan

David Adair
    Spectator

@davidadair

Locale: West Dakota

Thanks much Ryan -for some reason I wasn't aware of this one. And they have it in XXL for those of us lacking that svelte athletic build.

Ryan Teale
    BPL Member

@monstertruck-2

Hey all,

I got my "Houdini" in the mail that I picked up on ebay. It is nothing like my other retail Houdini that I have. It looks just like the Houdini Special that is sold on the Patagonia web site. It has a hide away hood and is labeled as a Level 4 Windshirt Gen II and is a large Long. It is a heavier nylon and is not rip-stop like a normal Houdini. Weight is 10.5oz. It will make a nice winter windshell but not what most of us are looking for.

Ryan

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools