Topic

Shipping Gas Canisters ?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Shipping Gas Canisters ?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

I just made the move to an Optimus Crux gas canister stove.

I can purchase gas canisters locally without a problem. Ordering them however and having them shipped incurs a hazardous materials handling fee. Flying with them even in checked baggage is a No No.

Has anyone had any experience in shipping these canisters ahead to the starting point of their hike?

Party On,

Newton

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

The small canisters used to shippable by surface mail within the US by an individual (with an ORM-D label), but I believe the rules have recently changed (or have been re-interpreted) so that this is no longer possible.

I always buy mine near that start of my hike, if I'm travelling by air…

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

The newish rules if I remember right don't allow anyone without certification to ship them. And they are not allowed in Postal Mail.

If you notice you can't get them shipped via online anymore from REI and similar.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Fuel canisters can be shipped via ground, but perhaps only by licensed dealers, and in bulk. Note the following link:

http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/product/product.asp/imanf/MSR/idesc/IsoPro+Fuel%3A+24+pack/Store/MG/item/114996/N/0

Lance M
    BPL Member

@lancem

Locale: Oregon

Here's some more info from research I did in April 2010.

Department of Transportation (DOT) rules allow ground transportation of propane/butane canisters in containers with a capacity of not more than 4 ounces, without special paperwork and fees. They are classified as 'Other Regulated Material – Domestic'.
    The package must be marked ORM-D, Consumer Commodity. This applies to UPS, FedEx, and other freight haulers.

Unfortunately backpacker's fuel canisters don't qualify. Officials recently discovered that MSR canisters had a capacity of 6 ounces and therefore did not qualify for the ORM-D exemption from certain Hazardous Material restrictions even though they were filled with only 4 ounces of fuel.

MSR Canister Story

The Postal Service is not bound by DOT regulations although it follows DOT regulations closely and can even be more restrictive. Postal regulations don't have the same 4 ounce limitation, and therefore certain small canisters are mailable by ground as ORM-D. However, because of the confusion between DOT and Postal regulations and the recent revelation about MSR canisters, you might find that your local post office won't accept the canisters for ground mail. You may be able to convince them by referring to appropriate sections of Publication 52 and/or the Domestic Mail Manual (DMM).

Air transportation is an absolute no-no.

See also Ken Powers comprehensive write-up on shipping fuel.

Hope this is still current and helps.
    -Lance

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I find this fascinating.

MSR may have to use a 3-ounce capacity canister to hold 2 ounces of fuel, and that may be legal.

–B.G.–

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

And then there is the smallish 3.5 ounce Jet Boil canisters that may fit into that mailable window.

To keep it simple. ;-(

We will be flying. I have located two "local" sources for the canisters between the airport and our starting point. Since we will be arranging shuttles to get us to the starting point we'll just have to make a quick run into the local sporting goods store.

Before too long we will be required to use "permitted" wood fires not to exceed "X" number of BTUs, started with bow drills, magnifying glasses or 9 volt batteries and fine steel wool. :-)

Thanks to all who gave their input, advice, experience and information.

Party On,

Newton

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Hmm. I took a look at the Domestic Mail Manual (DMM) 601, sections 10.12.2 through 10.12.4. Section 10.12.2 states:
    Flammable gases in Division 2.1 are … permitted via surface transportation if the material can qualify as an ORM-D material and meet the standards in 10.12.3 and 10.12.4

Section 10.12.3 states:
    An other-than-metal primary receptacle containing a mailable gas may be acceptable if the water capacity of the primary receptacle is 4 fluid ounces (7.22 cubic inches) or less per mailpiece and the primary receptacle meets 49 CFR requirements. Mailable nonflammable and flammable compressed gases are acceptable in metal primary receptacles that have a water capacity up to 33.8 fluid ounces (1 liter or 61.0 cubic inches), depending on their internal pressure.

Correct me if I'm reading that wrong but the 4 fl oz rule appears to apply to containers which are not made of metal. My understanding prior to reading this thread and now even more so after reading the DMM is that one liter is the allowable size for "Consumer commodity, ORM-D." Someone please point out what I'm missing here.

Ken Powers, on the second page that was linked to, writes:
    What this means to us:

We can ship up to 3 small canisters of isobutane fuel via ground mail (domestic mail only). That works fine because we don't want to carry the extra weight of more than 2 canisters at a time. The package must be sturdy. The cartridges need to be packed for protection. The package must have the following label on attached on the address side of the package:
    Surface Mail Only
    Consumer commodity ORM-D

which is basically the same thing I'm getting from the DMM. What am I missing?

HJ

Lance M
    BPL Member

@lancem

Locale: Oregon

I think you're confusing DOT regulations with USPS regulations.

What you've quoted from the DMM confirms that you can mail small canisters via ground mail. This is also what Ken Powers' page concludes.

It's the DOT that restricts freight carriers such as UPS and FedEx from hauling small canisters.

Here's an excerpt from DOT regulation 173.306:

173.306 Limited quantities of compressed gases.
    (a) Limited quantities of compressed gases for which exceptions are permitted as noted by reference to this section in § 172.101 of this subchapter are excepted from labeling, except when offered for transportation or transported by air, and, unless required as a condition of the exception, specification packaging requirements of this subchapter when packaged in accordance with the following paragraphs……
    (1) When in containers of not more than 4 fluid ounces capacity (7.22 cubic inches or less) except cigarette lighters. Special exceptions for shipment of certain compressed gases in the ORM-D class are provided in paragraph (h) of this section…………..

Link to 173.306
    Link to 172.101 Scroll down to butane.
    Also see definitions of gas, containers and packaging and follow any references.

Because the capacity of a typical 4 fluid ounce gas canister is actually greater than 4 ounces, the DOT 173.306(a)(1) exemption does not apply.

In other words, you can ship 4oz canisters via USPS ground mail, but not via UPS or FedEx (without HazMat papers and fees).

-Hope that helps

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

> It's the DOT that restricts freight carriers such as UPS and FedEx from hauling small canisters.

In other words, you can ship 4oz canisters via USPS ground mail, but not via UPS or FedEx (without HazMat papers and fees).

-Hope that helps

That helps tremendously. Thank you so much. For any long distance hiking that I plan to do, I intend to use the Post Office not UPS/FedEx. You guys had me worried for a minute there. Sounds like the Post office policy is that you can mail either 4 oz or 8 oz canisters. Sounds like a 16 oz might be pushing it (although I never use 16 oz canisters anyway).

Thanks, guys!

HJ

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Don't assume anything with the post office! You need to ask them directly. Why? On the posters they hang in mine canisters are shown with all the banned items (camping gear is a loosely rounded up group). Even Esbit tablets are a no for packing in a box. The other issue is how many people ship ground these days? They don't Flat Rate Priority boxes are a siren lure for restocking and bounce boxes. They are cheap and large. Just remember Priority is air.

As an average citizen we cannot ship ANYTHING that has the potential to harm – chemicals or fuel – without the proper documentation. Assume and you could face a huge $$ from the gov't.

On the other hand you can still ship live chickens via USPS. Somehow every month I get behind the same dude who receives his monthly load of baby chickens……

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

If you are sending boxes to be picked up in the sense of caching you need to make sure the place allows it. For example lets say you send a box to a ranger station? Fuel canisters in most cases will not be allowed for storage. This is a safety issue for them.

So do ask!

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Don't assume anything with the post office! You need to ask them directly.

Uhhh, maybe. I'm not sure that the average postman/woman deals with something specialized like a gas canister. They're probably just going to go with "no" and not be aware of the exception for small amounts packaged as a consumer commodity. I'm going to rely on the DMM rather than asking someone who may or may not know all the exceptions.

However, having said that, I've always been up front with the person behind the desk when asked what's in the package — and I always bring a print out of the relevant DMM sections. I've only done it two or three times, but I've never had a problem; the USPS has always shipped my gas canisters for me, and people have never had a problem sending gas to me. I just mark them "Consumer Commodity ORM-D, surface only". I leave it to the post office to decide air or ground.

Good point on checking whether or not your destination will be OK with such a package.

HJ

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"I'm not sure that the average postman/woman deals with something specialized like a gas canister."

The average postman/woman is not the same as the post office.

If you go to the main post office in your area, ask to speak to the supervisor. Typically there is one designated manager who will either know the answer, or else they will look it up for you. I had to wait for 15 minutes one time to speak to the supervisor, but it was worth it.

–B.G.–

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Yes and as well with ANY package mailed through USPS you are supposed to be asked if it contains anything fragile, perishable or hazardous. You lie and say no, you have just committed fraud of sorts with them. You have to declare it! Be prepared to hear "no".

OTOH this is why when I plane travel I take an alchy stove. It is easy to find HEET on the road.

James Hansen
    BPL Member

@jamesmhansen

Yes, you can use USPS to mail metal gas canisters containing flammable liquid.  According to publication 52 (As of 2/9/2023), limited quantity flammable gas canisters can be shipped surface only and must be durably marked on the address side of the package with the label included below.  See Appendix A under compressed gas, flammable and follow to Appendix C section 2A under flammable gasses.  The canister must contain less than 33.8 fluid ounces to qualify as limited quantity.  Follow the publication 52 links for proper packaging.

Surface Only Limited Quantity label

Paddy M
    BPL Member

@backwoods

I’ve had some experience in this department getting fuel (and bear spray) canisters to remote Alaskan villages, but the same applies in the lower 48.  My strategy is to buy the fuel/spray over the phone ahead of time (in my last instance at REI in Anchorage) and have them box it up.  Then I paid an air cargo company with scheduled village flights a hazmat shipping fee to transport it.  Was it cheap? No, but it also wasn’t crazy expensive (in the range of $50 per box, one with the bear spray and one with the fuel).  Lots of air cargo companies offer this service, you just need to find out who flies to your destination and give them a call.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

13 years later

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools