Topic

Pack List for a Sierra High Route variation

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Pack List for a Sierra High Route variation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Hi Kevin, yes he does tend to ramble a bit. But it’s nice to read of any good trip. Let’s me learn a lot, too. Do you have any account or photos of your trip? I’d love to see your gear list in use.

Aaron, yes, I really like Kevin’s gear list, too. It’s probably the closest list I’ve found that matches what I want my gear list to be like, right down to using the Patagonia Airius hat, which I like a lot more than my Tilley and I used all this summer (I sewed in a patch of Schoeller fabric in the crown to insulate that area a little better when the hat got wet)

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

Well, I did post ” mission accomplie” further up this thread re. a trip report. Perhaps it was a bit obtuse.
    :-)>

I may post a few photos in the near future. They are very much of a documentary nature. Referencing the route. No self-portraits, no shots of equipment. Not this time.

Yeah, the Airius is the best baseball style hat out there, at the moment. Clever mod, M.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Well, Aaron—- A hooded version of the Cocoon insulated pullover would be more versatile than my hoodless version. Such a garment w/ a drop tail would be my go-to garment for this or many other kinds of trips. But I may just get a Nunatak Skaha hooded down sweater as BMW is very slow to roll out new garments.

As I carry so little additional clothing, I have to be very careful about creating a pillow for sleeping—it’s just adequate. I might consider either bringing a small Platypus or a small piece of blue foam (that could double as a sit pad) or even a “flex-air” inflateable pillow that I would wrap clothing around to construct a more satisfying pillow.

As I mentioned before, a more interesting menu would have helped getting the requisite calories down. A longer trip and I would have added an alcohol stove and cooking gear and had recourse to hot meals.

I’m quite happy w/ the general clothing and equipment selection that I used and just took again to another 4 day trip in the same general area. For Sierra trips with lows down to the mid-twenties, I think that for my needs, my gear list is pretty well dialled in.

I will probably continue to agonize over getting a new digital camera that will be light, offer manual controls, some WA capability and offer a sensor that will allow me to produce images of at least publication quality. This will be a future addition to my general UL gearlist and will push me over the magic 5# loaded pack weight. So be it. Besides, my list reflects the fact that I take a size L in clothing and longs in bivy and bag length. So, considering this, I don’t do so badly in the weight dept.

JW
    BPL Member

@litetrail

Kevin, how do you like wearing the terrain shorts as a base/underwear layer? Are they trim enough not to feel bulky? I’m thinking of getting a pair for wearing under wind pants or over tights in warm weather. Thanks!

kevin davidson

@kdesign

I like the Terrains just fine. I don’t even notice that I’m wearing them—- which means that I have to make sure I have them on to head off the chance of a social faux pas. No bulk, no chaffing. The material is tougher then that found on many other running shorts in it’s weight range. Liner brief is comfy.

The short/wind pant combo is killer. Terrains over silkweight cap tights is also a much worn one-two.
    If need be, all 3.

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools