Topic

Effect of lanolin on wicking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Effect of lanolin on wicking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Richard Brownkatz

@rbrownkatz

Locale: Southeast

Anyone have any idea what effect adding lanolin to a wool garment would have on the garment's wicking abilities?
    We added lanolin to some surplus military wool sweaters and it made them non-scratchy and pretty water resistant. Now I'm thinking of doing the same to some homemade wool balaclavas, mittens and booties, and to some Merino sweaters we will use as base layers.
    Thanks.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

As far as sweat wicking I have no idea, I do know you're now wearing a pretty nice source of tinder though for survival situations…just be careful around flints and floating embers.

Richard Brownkatz

@rbrownkatz

Locale: Southeast

Thanks Dustin. Hadn't thought of that.

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

I'd expect the lanolin to inhibit wicking, to some degree; that's why adding it makes it water-repellent (and why woolly animals produce lanolin (aka wool wax/fat) to waterproof their fleeces…).

Rebecca Ribbing
    BPL Member

@becca-r

Locale: Alexandria, VA

It will inhibit wicking. There's actually a whole group of people that cloth diaper and use lanolin-ized wool covers over the cloth diapers. According to my friend, there are no leaks at all, which means that the moisture would be kept inside against the skin. (Sorry if that's too graphic)

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

(Sorry if that's too graphic)

It's only too graphic because you said "people that cloth diaper"and not "people that cloth diaper their babies". Combined with no mention of your friend being a parent or if they use this technique on themselves…

I'm assuming this is for babies, but the damage of the mental image has already been done and the resultant drinking to kill those memories begun.

Rebecca Ribbing
    BPL Member

@becca-r

Locale: Alexandria, VA

I'm so sorry for that bad image! I post mostly on backpacker.com where my name is Joyfulmama. I forgot it wasn't obvious from my name and photos that I have a kid. Yes, my friend is cloth diapering a baby ;)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools