Topic

GG Mariposa Plus ?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) GG Mariposa Plus ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Locale: Midwest

One question for Mariposa plus users? How do carry/access your water bottles. I normally carry either (2) one Qt Gator-Aid bottles or (2) one liter platty's.
    The pack has the one slanted side pocket, so I can place one bottle here, but what to do with the other. This is in regards to accessing the bottles while on the go.
    I could do this with my Gorilla as it had the same short side pockets on each side,but sold it,as the volume was just a tad small for me.
    Thus the reason I bought a Mariposa plus(larger volume)
    I thought that I had sworn off ultra-light packs, but I'm back for another round.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I usually just carry one bottle in the short one, and my tent of a 3L platy on the other side. Sometimes a bottle in the tall pocket, and when I stop to rest, I switch bottles.

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Yeah, kinda a no brainer as it is what it is, but I thought some long time Mariposa plus users might have some neat idea's?
    Carrying (2) 16oz or 20oz bottles off the shoulder straps is one style, or carry a 32oz bottle off the hip-belt using a seperate add-on bottle holder.
    Although, I don't like this extra weight hanging/bouncing off the front of me either.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

One thing I really dislike about the Plus is that long pocket, because I have nothing to really put there that is long.

Here is a picture of what I did one one trip. My first water source of the hike was the afternoon of day 2, so I needed to carry a lot of water. I put 2 1-liter Platys in the small pocket and a 2-liter Platy in the long one. Also put fuel in the long pocket. All-in-all it worked pretty good.

Mariposa Plus

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Looks good Nick, thanks for the picture. I might get a couple MLD shoulder strap water bottle holders for my Mariposa plus? They would attach at the short daisy's on the Mariposa. I plan to use the Hipster pack, instead of the hip-belt pockets too. I figure, that I could put my TT Rainbow in the long pocket, especially when its wet.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Mike,

I have never gotten hip or shoulder strap bottle systems to work for me. They get in the way and are just a plain pain in the you-know-what. Also, I have never really had a pack that was convenient to reach back to grab a bottle. My old Circuit was an exception, with the slanted pockets, but a Platy would not stay put… they fell out and forced me to use water bottles, not a major compromise. I tend to stop and drink, I like that method best. But I probably do not drink as much water as most people, being desert acclimated.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools