Topic

Packraft Day+ bow bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Packrafting Packraft Day+ bow bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Hutchins

@ryan_hutchins

Locale: Somewhere out there

A buddy of mine just had some dry bags built to attach directly to the bow of an Alpacka (any size) raft, reducing tie downs, straps and entrapment issues. The bag is designed for float trips rather than true packrafting with hiking, and should work well for longer river only trips (up to about 4 days) and certainly for those gnarly day trips too.

What do y'all think?

Packraft bow bag 1

Packraft bow bag 2

If folks are interested in this design, let me know. I don't want to make this post commercial though, just seeing what folks think of the concept.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Is the bag still a functional backpack?

If not, that really limits a lot of what this is all about –
    hiking and paddling.

Ryan Hutchins

@ryan_hutchins

Greg,
    the bag is not a functional pack. And you are correct, that limits it's functionality, a lot. Still, a lot of people do day trips w/ their packrafts, and while you can strap a drybag to the bow, this cleans it up a bunch, and adds way more security in attachment. Not for everyone for sure, but for folks who are running white water as day trips, and still want to bring some stuff, this may be a good way to go.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Ryan, it's a very good idea. Besides making for a clean and tangle free rig, it would reduce water absorption.

My question is; how much can it compress? It took me a while to find a good way to lash down my almost empty pack on day trips such that it wouldn't flop around.

Ryan Hutchins

@ryan_hutchins

David,
    that's a good question, I haven't seen one in person yet. It has a roll top closure, so to a certain extent one could just keep rolling it tighter I think? I'll see if I can find out, or get my hands on one.

Damien T

@dteney

Locale: Somewhere in the Alps

In the same spirit there are dry bags on the market that also are real backpacks. It probably be as practical to paddle with, and, in addition to that, you have real straps and sometimes a hipbelt, sternum strap, etc. to carry it on your back. For example,

– the Exped Drypack 40
    http://www.facewest.co.uk/pp/exped/expedimages10/Exped-DryPack-WB-40/Exped-DryPack-WB-40.jpg

– the Ortlieb Xplorer
    http://s.wiggle.co.uk/images/ortlieb%20xplorer%20kit%20bag%2006.jpg

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools