Topic

AT 2011 Gear list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists AT 2011 Gear list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

Locale: Northern Rockies

This is my list for my 2011 thru-hike. It is pretty similar to the colorado gear list i used all summer this summer but a few things that are specific to the AT. Also there are a couple things that i wont sway on: The stove stays, slightly heavier but has a simmer setting which allows it to cook certain meals that i like. The crazy amount of stuff sacks and the trash bag are a must because ive been caught way to many times on the AT in a downpour. Willing to take any advice as long as it saves me some money!!

Packing (oz)
    ULA Conduit 17
    trash compactor 1.5
    STS Drisack 8L 1
    STS Drisack 4L .5
    STS Drisack 2L .2
    Silnylon stuffsacks .5

Footwear
    La Sportiva Fireblade 28
    Simblissity Levagaiters 1.5

Shelter
    Tarptent Contrail (seam sealed) 25
    8 easton blue stakes 2
    GGpolycro ground cloth 1.5

Sleeping
    WM Summerlite 32° 19
    Thermarest Ridgerest 7
    STS silk liner 4.8 (for the first month)

Cooking
    .9L Ti-ware pot 4
    Ettowa Alcohol Stove 3
    Ti-ware spork .2
    Cloth .3
    Empty fuel bottles 1

Clothing worn
    Golite shirt 4
    Golite running shorts 3
    Golite visor 2
    Smartwool socks 2
    Melenzana socks 2

Clothing (carried)
    Patagonia Capeline 3 7
    Montbell U.L. Tec Down Jacket 11 (for cold months)
    First Ascent downlight vest 9 (for warm months)
    Golite Virga Rain Jacket 7
    Sierra Designs Rain Pants 7
    First Ascent microfleece beanie 1
    Mountain Hardware Powerstretch gloves 2
    Marmot Windshirt 4

Accessories
    REI Ascent UL poles 12
    Lighter .25
    Wallet (license, cash, debit card…) 1
    Petzl Tikka Light 3
    Sunglasses 1
    Cannon Powershot w/ case 7
    Firestarters (Esbit) 1
    Toilet paper 1.5
    Aqua mira 2
    Camp shoes (homemade) 1.5

Base weight w/out clothing worn 143.15 oz
    8.94 lbs
    Base weight with warm weather gear 136.35 oz
    8.52 lbs

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I am assuming you are going NOBO? When do you want to start? It makes a difference if you are starting in late February or early May.

Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

sorry bout that. ill be hiking NOBO and ill be starting on March 1st. hiking solo as well.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

You might want to try making a Penny Stove and see if the simmer ring meets your requirements:

http://www.jureystudio.com/pennystove/

The stove itself (including penny but not stand) is around 0.5 oz. I like mine, but it took me a few tries to get it right. I haven't tested the simmer ring with real food yet. :)

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

You're going to want a bag good to at least 20 with 10-15 being better options for an early start like that.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

I think your list looks really nice overall but I will throw my two cents in

I think you would be fine without the polycro

You would probably be OK without the sunglasses. The trees won’t have leaves until mid April or early May, but you still get some protection from the trees even without leaves.

I don’t think you have enough warm gear for a March 1st start, but if you have been hiking in Colorado, I guess you have plenty of cold weather experience. With a March 1st start, you can expect to have some nights dip into the mid teens, I know I got 10” of snow and 18* temps in early April a few years ago south of the Smokies.

I would replace the UL Tec Down Jacket with a slightly warmer one like the EB Downlight Jacket or Mont-Bell Alpine Light. I would also add some shell mitts, and at least another pair of glove liners, maybe take one lightweight one and a midweight one? I would also take something else for your legs as shorts and rain pants wouldn’t be enough for me in camp for that time of year.

The Summerlite is a great bag, but I would be scared to take it starting that early. Even wearing all of your clothes you will still probably have plenty of nights really pushing that bags limits. Most people starting that early use a 15* bag and all of them I have talked to have spent a few nights wishing they had a warmer bag.

Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

So it looks like i may want to warm up a bit. I was considering buying a WM kodiak pretty soon here for winter camping so that probably would be good to carry at first. I have an EB downlight full sweater as well so that would be a good switch. What does anybody know about snow protection for the first month. Over-mitts are a great idea, ill pick some from MLD (are they good?). But would anyone suggest light snowshoes for the smokies or waterproof shoes? I have some yaktrax ive used on the AT before and they were great but wouldnt do well with lots of snow. Any other advice?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

The MLD mitts are nice, I have a pair, but there isn't a lot out to compare them to. There are a few lightweight GT Paclite mitts available from European manufactures that are a little heavier, have a few more features, and a little more durable.

You probably won't see much snow, possibly even none. While late season snow storms can and do happen, they normally melt away pretty quick. Snowshoes are not needed and would get in the way more than anything. Yaktrax or Microspikes would be nice every now and then, but I wouldn't carry them on a thru hike. Personally, I am not a big fan of waterproof shoes as they seem to never dry out. I would just try and keep a pair of dry socks for sleeping.

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

I used on WM Summerlite bag on the AT this year, but didn't start with it. I started (NOBO) on Feb 25th, just a few days earlier than you plan to. The Summerlite definitely wouldn't have been warm enough for me, nor for most I think. A lot of folks had 15, 10 or even 0 degree bags and were happy with them. I used a 20F rated WM bag, but also carried down booties and a Montbell Alpinelight down parka to wear inside the 20F bag at night and those were enough for me down into the mid-to-upper teens on the coldest nights, but certainly not overkill.

I carried a Contrail for most of the trip, and I mean carried, not used too much, because starting that early and keeping up a decent pace meant that there was almost always room in the shelters.

Looks like you've thought through your gear pretty well; best wishes, have an excellent trip!

Michael Gissy

@mgissy1023

Hey Allen,

Glad to hear you'll be hitting the AT for 2011; I'll be out there as well.

As far as the gear list I think you've got a sound foundation. I'd definitely consider upgrading sleeping bags for that first month. Last Time I headed out with a 30' bag in early March I ended up boiling water all night and throwing it into my bladder at the foot of my sleeping bag. I live in North Carolina so I'm most familiar with that section of trail. Also, I've seen your videos on you-tube and have got to say I was impressed. Anyway, I'd look at maybe throwing in your Cap 3 bottoms as well. I've got the sierra designs rain pants too and know that they are quite toasty, but for the start of the trail you'll appreciate the extra base layer, especially at night. I'm assuming that somewhere in thee you're taking your Black Rock Gear 900 fill down beanie, or are you just planning on subbing that out for the micro fleece one? The switch from the U.L. tech down to the FA down looks like a sound bet. Snowshoes, or anything similar to that is more of dead weight. Snowfall here in the south at that time of year isn't substantial normally a few inches, maybe four max, so your Fireblades with the Levagaiters should do you just fine. Just keep some nice sleeping socks on hand for night time. I went out without water-proof shoes up to Roan mountain where it snowed 6 inches while camped at Over-Mountain Shelter and had no problems with wet feet hiking out the following morning. Also doubling up on the gloves with a heavier liner and waterproof/windproof shell would aid you well.

Well, that's my ranting for the day.

Happy Trails.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

Your list is good, but I'd also mention the sleeping bag as possibly being not warm enough. I hike in the Southern Appalachians all year, and usually switch to my 30-F bag in mid-March, but I have the advantage of being able to check the weather forecast and tweak my load for any given week or weekend hike.

For a March 1 start, I would expect to have many nights around 20, and at least one or two nights in the single digits.

Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

Awesome guys thanks so much. I forgot to include my nike running tights in there also, they serve as my bottom layer when i hike. well im definitely going to dress a bit warmer for the early start.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools