Topic

Recommend me a Winter glove system

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Recommend me a Winter glove system

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

I am heading to the mountains in about a week and a half and need layered winter glove system. I will be making a pair of Cuben shell mitts, to be used soley as a waterproof/weatherproof layer. I need a liner layer/insulation layer or one that does both. Looking for light and warm with an emphasis on layers as i like being able to adjust to temperature.

Thanks

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Winter can mean different things for different locations but for what it is worth I use a 3 part system for my cold hands.

1. Liner Glove (MH Power Stretch Gloves)
    2. Fleece Mitt (OR PL400 Mitts)
    3. Shell (MLD eVent Mitts)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

^ I'll be using a very similar setup

1 Smartwool glove liners
    2. OR PL400 mitts
    3. OR Endeavor over mitts

I anticipate most of the time it will be glove liners on their own or in combination w/ the over mitts, but if it gets especially nasty I think the 400 mitts will be a very welcomed addition

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

here's what i use down to -20/30C for mountains, ice climbing, etc …

-merino/syn thin liner (MH butters and smartwools are awesome)
    primaloft glove (rab latok)
    – heavier mitt (BD Mercury)

i use a thinner liner as it transmitts heat better between the fingers in the mitts, and allows for more dexterity

i use a real mitt as its warmer at stops or camp … the mercury also has removable shell so you can just use gloves + shell

its useful to have two full sets of glove/mitt or glove/glove … as when they get soaked … and they will … you can dry one pair under yr armpits … critical when you MUST have warm gloves

joe newton
    BPL Member

@holdfast

Locale: Bergen, Norway

Pretty much the same as everyone else:

1. Thin liner gloves – Synthetics are more robust if using poles – I use PowerStretch or PowerDry – 2 pairs – wearing one pair while the other pair dries in a pocket.

2. Non-membrane pile/fleece/Pertex&Pile mitts – I find mitts warmer and easier to take on and off over liner gloves. Avoid membranes on this layer, they'll dry out quicker. I'll be trying the new Montane Extreme mitts this winter.

3. A waterproof/'breathable' membrane over mitt – sized big to go over everything in really poor weather. I like Extremities Tuff Bags or Haglofs Gram mitts. Lightish, taped seams and durable.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

I'm just like most others – 3 layer system.

1. BD POWERSTRETCH LINER (1.75 oz)
    2. MEC DOUBLE FLEECE MITTS (3.2 oz)
    3. MLD OVERMITTS (1.09 oz)

It's actually a very affordable setup aswell and does me very well all winter long.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

weights for the setup I listed above

SW liners 1.4 oz
    PL 400 mitts 2.7 oz
    Endeavor overmitts 3.7 oz

total 7.8 oz (men's medium)

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

Since you already are making a pair of Cuben shells, I would consider this system:

+ RBH Designs Hybrid Vapr Liner (or some of their other mitts)

+ Possumdown

With these three used solely, together or in any combination, you should be able to go down below zero degrees F and also be fine for blowing rain and general camp chores.

I ordered a pair of custom Cuben mitts from RBH, modeled agter the BPL Featherlite Vapor Mitts which are no longer available.

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

Thank you for asking this! I've been meaning to ask a similar question for a while. Especially at this time of year, when wet hands means hold hands more than anything else. As winter sets in, I already have decent options for keeping my hands warm, but it's been a pain to find something that I can wear over them to keep my hands dry.

I was still at the early stage of looking around, and was disappointed by the expensive ($100-200) glove/mitt "systems" around. I just want a rain shell for my hands, durn it!

I'd never seen the MLD eVent mits- going to put them on my Christmas list! At least, if I can weight that long… :)

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

b/c i have a hard time dropping $75 on good shells (OR or Black Diamond) and spending $40 on POS mitts doesn't make any sense here's what i'm currently doing…

1 pair, wool military surplus gloves
    2 bread bags

works for none-super freezing temps:D

i have some trigger mitts that i bet would work into pretty low temps with the bread bags

i still have my eyes peeled for some used OR goretex mitt shells. just haven't found any

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Aaron,

There are some new competitors to the MLD mitts coming in from Europe.

The Extremities "Tuff Bags" and the Haglofs Gram Shell. They both GT Packlite and are a little heavier than the MLD mitts, but more full featured, seam taped, and seemingly more durable.

I am not trying to discourage you from buying the MLD mitts (I have a pair), but thought I would make sure you knew about the other choices as well.

http://www.haglofs.com/en-US/products/clothing/layers/accessories/unisex/gram_shell_mitten_en-us.aspx

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/extremities_tuff_bags_-_goretex_paclite_overmitts.html

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

Thanks, Bradford! I'm fine with something a bit heavier. Most of the winter camping we've done isn't that far from car camping- drag a pulk sled a mile or two to a campsite or cabin.

Anyone seen this sort of thing in glove form? Waterproof, wind-resistant, and uninsulated other than maybe a thin layer of fleece?

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

"Anyone seen this sort of thing in glove form? Waterproof, wind-resistant, and uninsulated other than maybe a thin layer of fleece?"

Mountain hardware outdry treated gloves …

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

they're not water proof but .5oz….

If you have the money the arcteryx Alpha gloves are epically amazing in fit and their made completely different than other gtx glove….300 bucks tho…

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Outdoor Research Endeavor Mitts (got good reviews on this site) over fleece or a liner glove (or both…or nothing inside at all if it's not that cold).
    I've been very happy with them.
    The MLD mitts look really good too- that was my other choice had I not found the endeavors for pretty cheap. I also went with the endeavors for a little more durability than the MLDs; I hear those wear a bit faster.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

You should carry at least 2 pair of synthetic removable liners. (Wool wears out too fast unless it's thick, boiled pre-shrunk wool.)

Often I carry one medium weight liner and one heavy weight liner, like Patagonia used to sell – and maybe still does.

Try Cabela's for different weights of pile/fleece liners. Pile is thick, fleece is more medium to light weight. Windstopper atyle fleece is nice B/C you can wear it W/O a shell if necessary, say if you lost a shell.

Don Selesky
    Spectator

@backslacker

I've settled on the lighter pair of RBH Designs' mitts, plus light and medium weight liner gloves. I use the RBH mitts alone when it's below freezing, adding a liner as it gets progressively colder. Above freezing the liners alone are fine.

I bought a pair of the heavier mitts, but so far haven't been out in conditions that would allow me to use them.

I should add the the RBH mitts have a built-in VBL liner. Makes them much warmer than their weight would suggest.

Highly recommended.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Most of the time I wear OR Omni gloves alone (size M), and put Endeavor mitts over them (size L, crucial to size up!) when it's really cold (like single digits and/or super windy). I have a pair of dachstein mitts (very dense boiled wool) that often come along for really cold trips, but they hardly ever get used. I have pretty warm hands.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

two things pushed me towards the Endeavors vs the MLD Event ones-as Andrew pointed out in his recent Alaska adventure, taping tends to be more effective than seam sealing, second I'm using these predominantly for winter use (with poles) and the Endeavors are a little more "beefier" in the palm (albeit heavier too!)

if I were to pick a mitt for strictly three season use only I'm pretty sure the MLD's would get the nod

I too rarely use my inner mitts, but feel they are an important piece of emergency gear in the winter

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

if any of you want to turn yr OR or MLD shell into full fledged expedition winter mitts … these are the ones to use for 35$

MEC PrimaLoft Puffy Mitt Liners
    Expedition-grade mitt liners, insulated with soft, moisture-resistant, warm-when-wet Primaloft® and featuring comfortable brushed-polyester linings. They can also be used without shells in low-abrasion situations.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442241809&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302698935

Michael Febbo
    Spectator

@febbom

The description of the MEC Puffy Mitts does not appear to indicate a fleece/pile palm section, which if you are using tools or poles is much warmer than synthetic (compresses less). Still, looks like an inexpensive option.

Also, be sure your overmitt is large enough to fit such a liner as I have found that any constriction of the hands leads to much colder fingers regardless of the amount of insulation in my mitt system. All of my overmitts are XL…

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

i do believe there is some lining … but not a fleece palm

id say that if youre not planning to do technical stuff, it isnt that big a deal

if i remember correctly i fitted a pair of mediums into medium OR endeavors fine …

what you can do is call any one of the mec stores and ask them to test it out for you …. theyll be glad to help you

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

I would go one of two ways:

1) Liner glove
    2) Big Wool Mitt
    3) Waterproof Breathable Shell

or

1) Liner glove
    2) Puffy Synthetic Mitt
    3) Waterproof Breathable Shell

A big wool mitt is likely to be cheaper. However, a puffy mitt is lighter. For particular items:

1) Liner gloves — My favorite now is the Mountain Hardware Power Stretch glove. It is light (one ounce) due to it's no nonsense design (e. g. no leather palm). It has a bit of rain resistance (unlike polypro). It isn't cheap, though. A much cheaper solution is just to get some polypro or wool gloves from an Army/Navy (or other surplus) store. They typically cost less than $10 and work well. Buy a bunch in case you might lose a pair. The main thing is not get them wet. If you think you might, carry a spare. Otherwise, you end up just going with a mitt (and not a glove/mitt combination).

2a) For a big wooly mitt, I recommend an Army/Navy store. It is hard to beat the price to warmth ratio.

2b) As mentioned, MEC seems to have the best offering for the price.

3) REI offers a shell mitt, which I find works fine. MLD has a nice shell mitt (which I use for summer) but you would have to get it in a very big size. Even at that, you won't have the nice wrist coverage of a shell designed for winter use. Outdoor Research Endeavor is a very nice shell; it is similar to the REI offering, but better.

[Corrected the Shell Information (should have read previous posts and done more research)]

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

I use the 3 layer system, but i always carry a pair of Buffalo System Pile/Pertex mitts as back-up.
    They give superb warmth, and are bombproof. Some folk here in the UK carry 2 pairs as there only handwear. Normal size, and a size up for double duty when it get baaaaad.

joe newton
    BPL Member

@holdfast

Locale: Bergen, Norway

Mike,

+1 on carrying Buffalo P&Ps as back-ups, especially when I'm ski guiding. I'm hoping the new Montane Extreme Mitts will be the Buffalo Mitts that can be used all day, every day.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools