Topic

Best material for DIY rain mitts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Best material for DIY rain mitts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Stephen P

@spavlock

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

If there is already a thread for this, please point me in the right direction.

If not, here is my question. I want to make a pair of rain mitts. I'd like them to be a little durable, easy to make, and cheap.

I'm thinking about using the thru-hiker pattern with a few mods. Any thoughts?

I am unsure what material to use. Tyvek? Silnylon? Dri ducks material? I'm really stuck on the material part, so some advice with pros and cons would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Steve

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I made some out of ordinary coated nylon with no pattern.

–B.G.–

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I'd like them to be a little durable, easy to make, and cheap.

Pick two out of three.

Cheers

Stephen P

@spavlock

Ok, Roger, good point. I would consider most mitten designs do-able for me. So forget the easy to make part. I'm mainly looking for affordable and durable.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

1.43 oz. Cuben from http://www.zpacks.com @ 1/2 yard = $14.50 + $3.95 shipping = $18.45 for material sufficient for a a pair of mitts with gauntlet.

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

im making some waders out of .7oz cuben that are going to double as my waterproof mitts. Also serve a slew of other purposes, but i will let you know when they are made so you can decide if you want to make them.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

If you're choosing cheap+durable, then I would imagine that cuben fiber is out of the option. Go with some silnylon seconds available at thru-hiker or Backwoods Daydreamer. I've thought about doing the same for myself along with some silchaps too.

Stephen P

@spavlock

Ike – Let me know how the waders work out. I'm not familiar with sewing cuben. Will I need to use tape as well as stitching? I will need to do some research on that.

aaron – The price looks good. And if I ordered it tonight, I would probably have it in 2 days….Joe is excellent with service.

eric – Do you have any experience with silnylon gloves? It is really affordable…I think I am going to give it a try first before trying cuben. I can always use extra silnylon for other simple projects.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Apart from Cuban, which is horrible pricey, most other fabrics are cheap enough in the quantity you want. As I see it, you have a choice of
    * silnylon: zero breathability, seam seal with silicone
    * cheap acrylic coated nylon: coating won't last very long, then leaks badly, NOT recommended
    * PU-coated nylon (typically ripstop): lasts well, slightly breathable, can be seam sealed
    * heavy coated nylon: lasts better if you are using your hands much, can be seam sealed

Cheers

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools