Topic

Gear Makeover

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Gear Makeover

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Frank P.

@cthiker

This is a follow-up to my previous thread, “How do you go Ultralight without Major $$$?.” The gear that I have now is – Tent = Eureka Nightscape 4 (but a friend said he’ll lend me his Clip Flashlight CD for my time on the Long Trail); Bag = Wenzel Reg. No. Mo. 63 TX (couldn’t find any other ID, it’s old!); Backpack = Lowe Alpine Backpacker 65. Stove = MSR Windpro. Boots = Asolo Fugitive. Pots/pans/silverware = same stuff I use at home. Raingear = Mountain HardWear shell (don’t intend on replacing). Knife = 9″ blade I picked up at the reservations in AZ. Any suggestions???

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

It would be helpful to see your full packing list (items listed with weights in ounces) to be most effective in making recommendations.

If you hiking with a friend, that the clip flashlight is a reasonable option and it’s the right price. If you are hiking by yourself I would look for a lighter shelter (less than 2lbs).

I would stick with the suggestions I made on the earlier thread. Additional suggestions:

I would replace the 9″ knife (which might be close to 1lb) with a 1oz Swiss Army Knife Classic ~$10.

Cookwear: go with a walmart grease pot or the 3cup pot from antigravitygear.com if the pot you are using is heavier than 6-7 ounces. Cost, ~$10. Eat out of your pot. Get a lexan spoon (or spoon and fork). Cost ~$2. You MSR windpro isn’t awful heavy and butane can have a slight edge over alchohol over time because each ounce of fuel has more BTUs and you don’t lose fuel preheating. Since you are out for more than 6-7 days (the typical crossover point) I would stick with your canister stove.

If you MH rain shell is the Epic… it’s fine. If it is one of the old 2-3lb hardshells I would seriously consider replacing it will something that is significantly lighter.

Frank P.

@cthiker

Thanks again, Mark. My jacket is the Epic Jacket and despite what some people say, i’ve been really satisfied with how waterproof it is. I’m gonna stop by walmart and see if I can get all of the items at once. Maybe they’ll even have
    Swiss Army knives! About the shelter…I’m going to be hiking solo on my LT trip, but my friend said that he’d let me use his Clip Flashlight because it’s much lighter than my tent. If you have any recommendation for a lighter, but still strong, shelter option it’d be much appreciated. Thanks – Frank

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools