Topic

Opinions on this baselayer

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Opinions on this baselayer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

anyone have any experience with these? they are $17, weigh 8.5 oz in large, and are described as heavyweight which i guess means very warm.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,2926G_Kenyon-Base-Layer-Bottoms-Polartec-Power-Stretch-For-Men.html

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

These baselayer pants are made out of Polartec Power Stretch, which is a heavyweight fabric similar in warmth and thickness as 100 wt fleece. Power Stretch is a little heavier than 100wt fleece as it has a higher spandex content. The only Power Stretch experience I have is with a pair of Mountain Hardwear Gloves Unless you plan to be out in very cold conditions, I would think Power Stretch would be a little too much for hiking. That is a very good price and they would make excellent extra warmth sleep/camp wear however.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

With higher spandex content, i would think powerstretch should be warmer than 100wt fleece? I'm looking for a cheap way to stretch my quilt another 10 degrees.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

You are right, according to Richard Nisley post "A new paradigm for understanding garment warmth" 100 wt fleece has a clo value of .30, Power Stretch has a clo value of 0.49, and 200 wt fleece has a clo value of 0.76.

I would guess you would probably get 5-10* more warmth by wearing them in your quilt, and for that price, its a no lose situation.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Thanks Brad and Thank you too Richard.

Eddy Walker

@ewker

Locale: southeast

I just c&p your link and the price shows $ 26.21 each. How did you get that $17 price?

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

once i add it to my cart and update, it adjusts it lower.

Eddy Walker

@ewker

I tried that but it stayed the same price. Did you have some type of key code?

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

there is another similar product that is not as cheap. try this part: 2926G-02-XL

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

I just added the exact same product code into my cart and now its only %53 off. i guess the %70 off discount was only yesterday. sorry you missed it.

Eddy Walker

@ewker

thanks for letting me know. I kept wondering how you were getting it at that price

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools