Topic

Weight Variability in RidgeRest Pads

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Weight Variability in RidgeRest Pads

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Philip Werner
    BPL Member

@earlylite

Locale: White Mountain National Forest

Therm-a-rest lists the weight of the RidgeRest Solar (a Deluxe with reflective coating) as 19 oz in size 72".

My 72" pad weighs 15.9 oz. It's also about 2.5 inches shorter than spec.

How prevalent are these weight and length differences? Curious what others are seeing across the different RidgeRest models.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

My regular Ridgerest weighs in at 12.7 ounces (spec is 14oz). I haven't measured it so I am not sure about the length. I have been looking at the RR Solar for colder weather and it is good to see that it is lighter than spec.

Skurka's prototype was listed at 16oz on his site.

Philip Werner
    BPL Member

@earlylite

I just cut my regular length solar down to 30" for use in a 2 pad winter system.

But I can't get over the manufacturing variability. Imagine how much more popular the RidgeRest would be if they listed them as lower weight.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

You beat me! My regular length Solar clocked in at 16.7 ounces. About 70 inches length.

I also sent you a PM with some questions about your mods. Thanks

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

and to think that it aint made in china !!!

yr gonna have variability in any gear … which is why counting a few grams is better served by taking care of business in the morning …

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

haha. If it were made in China, the silver would have turned your skin green when wet, and/or somehow babies would have ended up dead.

Philip Werner
    BPL Member

@earlylite

I just cut the Solar down to a 30" torso pad using a fairly dull pair of home scissors. Didn't crumble or release toxic dust. Very straightforward.

Therm-a-rest only offers the Solar in a Regular (72") and a Long (77"), but of course, there was the issue that my 72" was only about 69" long.

They've also announced another new model called the SOLite, that will be available in January, that is a regular Ridge Rest with a reflective coating. I just got a sample to review. The R-value moves from 2.4 to 2.6 with the Solar coating, and it will be available in 48", 72", and 77" lengths weighing 9 oz, 14oz, and 19 oz, or so they claim.

Again my SOLite is shorter and lighter than spec, weighing just 12.1 oz instead of 14. I'm not complaining, mind you, just astonished at the manufacturing variability, and wondering what else is not up to spec on the pad.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

My Solar long weighs 23.2 so that is 2.8 less than advertised.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools