Topic

quick disconnects

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear quick disconnects

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

i am building a water purifying gravity setup. i need to know where to get the lightest cheapest quick disconnects? the only ones i found were on usplastic and were $9. SHould the disconnects be for the filter only, since it will need to be kept from freezing? should i use them somewhere else in the process for sanitation reasons?

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

Ike,

Nalgene has some accessories with quick disconnects that you might be able to use.

If you're looking for cheaper, you might try some hose clamps. I've seen them with a tab so you can tighten and loosen them by hand. I think they were in the automotive section at Walmart.

I personally use just one quick disconnect and that one only because my hydration bladder has a quick connect socket for the drinking tube, so it was the only way I could connect the filter to the bladder to fill it. It doesn't save a huge amount of time.

I do recommend you make your setup so you don't have to monitor it while it does its job. That's what really takes time.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Platy Quick Disconnect –

Platy Quick Disconnect
    $13 — Ouch!

Edit: Sawyer also has QDCs. They are smaller and simpler than the Platy. I sent off an email and will post the response.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

One thing bad about quick disconnects is that they have a constricted opening so it takes longer for the water to flow through.

It might be that the filter would be the limiting factor affecting flow and the quick disconect wouldn't make any difference

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Locale: Georgia

Ike,

Do you need a shut-off included?

If so, check out USPlastics.

If not, check out USPlastics.

Cheaper than Platy even with shipping.

Also, ValuePlastics has some very interesting designs, including a buckle quick-connect, but they only come in bulk (10 – 50 minimum). Anybody else want some?

Andrew Schriner

@lettheguydance

Locale: Midwest

Check out McMaster Carr. http://www.mcmaster.com/#

All kinds of goodies.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

McMaster-Carr Quick Connect link.

Move down a couple of lines at Quick Disconnect page, then scroll to the middle of the page.

These appear to be US Plastics items.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools