Topic

Quilting question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Quilting question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Ben Johnson

@benlikesjazz

Locale: Waukesha pronounced Waukesha

Has anyone taken an old down comforter and converted it to a caming quilt?

I've got a duvet thingy as a wedding gift and now that I've been turned on to the new quilt fad, I thought, "Wouldn't this work?"

The top and bottom are a poly cotton mix. Plus it's white, so sure to show war wounds and sh1t stains. But being a duvet, why not sew a nylon cover over it.

Open to discussion

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

I've had similar thoughts, but I think that your duvet with the inclusion of its stock cotton cover would be far to heavy for what you have in mind. Also, I doubt that it is a high quality down and likely contains a significant amount of feather.

I do have plans to salvage a down sleeping bag that I bought at an REI garage sale for 20 bucks. Its 9.3oz of 750fill which will give me a good first quilt. If I'm sold after that I may eventually upgrade to a higher fill.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools