Topic

Guy-line Knots – What is your favorite knot for tying off guy line and why?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Guy-line Knots – What is your favorite knot for tying off guy line and why?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

This is something that was prompted by a tangent from a thread in G Spot under Tarp Book.

Mine is to Girth Hitch one end to the tarp and Trucker Hitch the stake end. These are easy to attach to the tarp/poncho and can be quickly adjusted to tension the line.

I have some of the Jacks-R-Better self tensioning lines, and they work nice, but I have not had them too long. I suspect the elastic tubing can/will deteriorate over time unlike a solid guy-line.

William Wright

@farstar

Two half hitches to the tarp and trucker’s hitch to the stake.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Tautline or prussic on the tarp and simple double or tripple wrap with a quick release bow on the stake. That way I can reach the adjustable knot from under the tarp.

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

Two half hitches on the tarp, taut-line or clove hitch on the stake end depending on whether it is hard or easy to place a stake. For removable guys, I girth hitch the tarp end. (I especially like the JRB self-tensioning guylines on my hammock tarp.) I’m upgrading some old tarp guylines to AirCore Pro Dyneema though, so I’ll be using rewoven figure-8s and the BPL cord locks with that.

Peter McDonough
    Spectator

@crazypete

Locale: Above the Divided Line

Anchor bend to ursalight carabiner clipped to tarp, runs around stake and back to a tautline. Else bowline loops around biner and around stake.

Mark
    BPL Member

@mlarson

Locale: SoCal

I keep a loop from an overhand-on-a-bight on each end of the guyline. Attach with a girth hitch on the tarp end. Stake is usually straight through the other loop, but sometimes I’ll make a tautline.
    -Mark

David Bonn

@david_bonn

Locale: North Cascades

For the ridge lines and corners, I use the aircore pro cord and tensioners. I tie off with clove hitches.

Typically I have three or four short (fifteen inches or so) of aircore 2 with an overhand loop on each end). I use these as needed for side pullouts. They aren’t permanently attached to the tarp and I girth-hitch them when I think they will help. Usually I wrap the cord around a goodsized rock rather than actually stake them out, since the side pullouts need less tension than the corners or ridgeline — and I can still adjust them from under the tarp by simply moving the rock. The other thing I might do with those cord is use them as extenders for the corner tie-outs if the placement is awkward, where I tie them to the main cord with a double sheet bend and stake through the overhand loop.

I also usually carry and extra six or eight feet of aircore pro (or gossamer gear’s very similar EZC line) that I can use to extend the a tarp ridgeline around a really big tree.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools