Topic

PCT Gear List 2011

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists PCT Gear List 2011

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Toby Maxwell
    BPL Member

@eeooo4-2

Locale: Idaho

sounds great! Thanks for all the tips and encouragement. I think that most of the gear issues to come will be, as stated, tweaking along the way to make things work well which is not easily accomplished at home, i.e. ill have to see if a knife is necessary or not for me (could probably use my spoon handle) etc. For now I'm feeling pretty good due to good advice. Next step food planning…. hopefully Ill see some of you on the trail!

-Toby

Brian Ahlers

@bahlers7

Just a thought on pack liner vs pack cover. I pack with a ULA Ohm (which I absolutely love BTW) and have been through rain, snow, sleet, etc with just a liner (i believe i got from GG). Anyway, since your going to have a down bag and jacket in there, what I do is roll the top of the bag a few rolls then compress the liner bag with my sleeping bag (MB UL 1 or 3) and clothing in it then roll the bag after most of the air is out then the down will try and loft and will suck the bag tightly shut. In my experience I've gone all day and the liner is still compressed and sealed when I get in my pack in the evening. Just a tip!

Good luck on the trip!

Dug Shelby

@pittsburgh

Locale: Bay Area

Hey Toby,

Not sure if this will be of any interest to you, but I'll outline my plan for what I'll use for my kitchen on the PCT. This has been very lightly field tested so far, and has worked really really well:

MSR Titan titanium kettle
    Homemade cat food can stove
    Ikea silverware caddy cut down
    2 titanium tent stakes
    Denatured alcohol
    Cotton balls dipped in vaseline
    1 small long burning wax candle
    1 sheet of aluminum foil (folded over 3-4 times)

Timo, a BPL member, found that Ikea sells a silverware caddy (I'll post the link below) that the Titan kettle fits inside of perfectly, almost like it was made for that purpose. Then, some of the top of the caddy is cut down, and one or two grooves cut out of the sides to accomodate the titan handle when storing (and to allow better oxygen flow for the fire to feed from).

If you are using denatured or another fuel for your homemade cat food can stove, the can sits at the bottom of the caddy, and the kettle sits atop two titanium tent stakes that allow you to adjust the height of the kettle to the flame.

When you are either out of denatured fuel, you can use twigs & wood chips to fuel your fire (see Timo's thread for a good picture on page 1). This will allow you to use wood that is available without any cutting, and the pieces are so small you aren't leaving a big fire pit mark. This will allow you to carry less liquid fuel. Money & weight savings, not to mention hassle if looking for it in a town & not finding it.

Some people have said the denatured stove won't do well in colder temps, and usually they're right. The fuel itself needs to be warmed initially. That's where the candle comes into play. Preheat the fuel in the can stove for a minute using the candle, then light the fuel when ready. Problem pretty much solved. Also, a candle isn't a bad idea as a multi-use item, seeing as how wax can be used to help in aiding a tough fire start in an emergency.

If the twigs & bits of wood you want to use are wet, break out a treated cotton ball or two to light & dry a little wood out, then keep adding & pile some twigs around the stove to dry as you go.

The aluminum foil can be bent around for a windscreen, and also a bottom heat reflector. In an emergency (depending on what condition it's in) it can be used as a reflector for signaling. I'd have a few sheets in my bounce box to replace the more well worn pieces along the way (or ask for a nice piece from a restaraunt in a town). I'll be sending some treated cotton balls as well as a couple other candles ahead in my bounce box as well.

The caddy weighs in at about 3.5-4 oz. (depends on how you cut it), the Titan kettle is 4.7 I think, the can stove is silly-light as is the rest of the kit. It all fits inside the kettle, which fits inside the caddy, which helps to protect the rest.

Just an idea, and what I'll be using. From what I hear, there are some days using a stove won't even be in the cards, due to either weather and/or convenience/food choice/energy level/motivation for warm food. I for one really look forward to a warm meal at the end of the day, but then again, I have never hiked for that long at one time either. :)

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=27176

Dug
    http://thf2.wordpress.com

Anne Walker

@jonnywalker

The circuit has CCF in the backpanel right? You could cut down a length or 2 of your Z-lite and replace it with the pack to shave a few ounces.

Brian Ahlers

@bahlers7

Is there a requirement for a bear canister on some parts of the PCT through the Sierras? I ask because the PCTA says that one is required in certain areas but nobody seems to have one on their gear list.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

This map tells the whole story:

http://sierrawild.gov/bears/food-storage-map

–B.G.–

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Locale: Maine!

Bear canister requirements are much simpler than any of the guidebooks make them sound.

If you are going Northbound: Pick up bear canister at Kennedy Meadows (mile 700ish). Get rid of bear canister at Bridgeport (Sonora Pass, mile 1020) or Echo Summit (Echo Lake or South Lake Tahoe, mile 1100).

You can also pick up the bear canister in Lone Pine, I think. Most people just get their canisters in Kennedy Meadows because it's just off the trail, while Lone Pine is pretty far off.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"If you are going Northbound: Pick up bear canister at Kennedy Meadows (mile 700ish). Get rid of bear canister at Bridgeport (Sonora Pass, mile 1020) or Echo Summit (Echo Lake or South Lake Tahoe, mile 1100)."

Ryan, it is important to make that distinction about Kennedy Meadows since there is another one near Sonora Pass, just off Highway 108.

–B.G.–

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Locale: Maine!

Good point, Bob. Basically, it's just about 400 miles of trail where you will need to have a bear canister. Another thing for the planning, though– Since you don't need the canister until mile 700, you've got at least a month of hiking before you get there, so you won't have to worry about it too much before you hit the trail. It's something to think about, but there will be plenty more time to think about it on the trail.

ryan Ashby

@steveclimber

Locale: So Cal

everyone is giving you good, and specific advice. that is all good I spent 3 months gear tweaking too prior to my PCT thru hike in 2010 (yeah last year) and it helped deal with some nerves for me at best. The best advice I can give you is your list is complete. move on. you aren't missing anything, you list looks pretty
    good, and yes some things could be lighter or different, and things do change based on your preference, but you can learn what you need YOURSELF, ON THE TRAIL, and that could be different then you think, no need to lose sleep over it. In the long run you will buy replacement sock and clothes at thrift stores, sleep in bathrooms, and eat out of trash cans, you can replace anything you lose. I go by the mantra that if I haven't used it in a week and it is a non-priority item (like I always carry SOME shelter) I ditch it. that easy. Good luck gearing up, always carry some whiskey and a good attitude. cheers, see you on the trail.//…..
    steve climber.

Dug Shelby

@pittsburgh

How did you get the trailname "SteveClimber"?

And I'm looking forward to eating out of trash cans. Are there any you recommend in any certain towns?

Toby Maxwell
    BPL Member

@eeooo4-2

thanks steve climber, I think Im gonna go with that advice at this point, Im gonna shove away the stuff I have and begin thinking about it only when I have to rather than obsessing over an ounce more. take it easy and thanks everyone.

-Toby

ryan Ashby

@steveclimber

yo dude. google the "flextrek 37 trillion" and all your questions will be answered.. one of the best backpacking shorts ever. I stuck in Mt. Laguna this year on the PCT waiting out the storms and we got a little cabin crazy and I do a pretty good impression! Trail names come at weird times for sure.

ryan Ashby

@steveclimber

The point is you are about to break all the concepts that you hold in your head about what is important and what you are willing to do. the trash cans at Tuolomine Meadows are superb, you just have to wait for the breakfast and lunch waves to be over respectively and then the food is literally laying on top of the cans, most not even eaten, as everyone coming through there are most likely tourists. ahaha. I know it sounds absurd but this is how you think! best plan for both of you is to start hiking everyday or walking or something so 20 miles a day doesn't hit you like a ton of bricks….cheers.

Dug Shelby

@pittsburgh

Awesome, I'll have to look that up.

And my thoughts on food are not too sophisticated. Between surf trips to Mexico, eating street food in the Philippines, and while in college waiting outside the dumpsters for the 'timed-out' burgers to get tossed, well…I'm pretty open.

Training: I've been walking to work every day since July, rain or shine, putting in about 50 miles a week at 4mph. People think I'm nuts, but all I know is my base will be excellent and my walking mind strong.

ryan Ashby

@steveclimber

your in for success, it is a mental game! see you at kickoff.

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools