Topic

Fast and Light Daypack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Fast and Light Daypack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Josh Newkirk
    BPL Member

@newkirk

Locale: Washington/Alaska

Hey everybody,

Im looking for advice on a small daypack, like 16-24 litres. I want something that is pretty light. Mainly going to use it for 'fast and light' day hikes. Im not sure if i want hydration bladder and/or compatability or not. Advice on this also would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks

Josh

Jack Newton

@figster

Locale: Central Arkansas

Zpack!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Check out the Cilogear 20 liter Worksack:
    http://www.cilogear.com/20lws.html

Others that come to mind:

REI Flash 18 (cheap too)
    Marmot Kompressor Plus
    Mont Bell Balance Light 20
    Vaude Rock Ultralight Comfort 25
    GoLite VO24

carl becker
    Spectator

@carlbecker

Locale: Northern Virginia

MDL and The North Face also offer small light packs. You will have lots to choose from. I use a REI Stoke 19 daily or for day hikes. A bit heavy but a good setup and has a hydration sleeve with hip belt. Not to dear in price.

David Ure

@familyguy

I've had some luck with the Osprey Talon 22. Probably the most feature rich, yet lightweight daypack available.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

I really like the Black Diamond RPM

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

David said "I've had some luck with the Osprey Talon 22. Probably the most feature rich, yet lightweight daypack available."

^ that's the exact route I went as well. I've used the Marmot Kompressor (which is very similar to a lot of the other very light offerings) and while it is indeed light, I find myself needing to carry more gear than probably what those really light packs are meant to. It's a great pack to stick in your backpack if your planning a lot of side trips during your backpacking trip, but for long (my day hikes tend to be on the long side), single day day hike they just didn't offer the capacity or the comfort of the Talon. I plan on using the 22 for snowshoeing this year, appears it should handle those duties pretty well too.

Mike

John Frederick Anderson
    BPL Member

@fredfoto

Locale: Spain

+1 cilogear 20l worksack

cheers,
    fred

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

I like my zPack just fine TYVM, but for dayhikes, especially in wet weather, I also like my venerable Outdoor Research Dry Peak Bagger (10 oz or so — just weighed it — but pretty durned waterproof).

Stargazer

P.S. You put the Platy with hose in the back external sleeve. Works great!

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

My Talon 22 fits great, but it's not really light. I still complain to Grant at GG periodically to make a mini-Gorilla.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

rei flash 18 or arcteryx cierzo 18

minimalist packs … flash is cheaper of course

9-10 oz

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Stargazer wrote, "but for dayhikes, especially in wet weather, I also like my venerable Ooutdoor Research Dry Peak Bagger (16 oz but pretty durned waterproof)."

I want the OR DryComp Ridge Sack. Report weight is 16.4oz, which is pretty good considering the features. Put some side pockets on it and I would toss a couple other packs :)

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/drycomp_ridge_sack.html

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

>I want the OR DryComp Ridge Sack. Report weight is 16.4oz, which is pretty good considering the features. Put some side pockets on it and I would toss a couple other packs :)

Geesh. Great pack. My wife is going to kill me. ;-)

Stargazer

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

From Integral Designs Fast & Light collection:

http://integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=770&CFID=2282230&CFTOKEN=9118469

silcoat backpack, 25L, 4.5oz

Robb Stanek
    Spectator

@rstanek

Locale: Southeast, Atlanta, GA

One reason I like the Flash is the double daisy chain on the back. I added some stretch cord, and it almost doubles the capacity (for a jacket, or something stuffed in it).

Hard to beat the value for the price.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I tend to use this one a lot too. I have lighter packs, but they are too big.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools