Topic

steepandcheap titanium pot

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals steepandcheap titanium pot

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Brian Hall
    BPL Member

@brian2o0o

Steeandheap has the backcountry titanium 700 pots right now. Pot and spork for $22. Pot and lid weighs 3.7oz

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Nice deal on a sweet pot. Too bad S & C has ridiculous shipping rates to Canada. Any UPS service to Canada is a joke with the 'brokerage fees' UPS surprises the recipient with (on top of the applicable duty).

$22 pot + $25 shipping + $30 UPS Handling fees to collect the $3 in import tax = way too much for a small pot.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Why not have someone here get one and ship it to you, if there is still time..

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

I could…but even with normal shipping costs x 2 (S&C to buyer, buyer to me) it would probably be about the same as just grabbing one locally….and I don't really need one.

Buying stuff online is so much better for Americans than anyone else. Even in the ideal case scenario, I lose out a bit on the exchange rate, pay about double in shipping costs and then have to pay 13% tax and a $7 handling fee at the border. That makes it only worth shopping online if the item is somewhat expensive.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

17% on sleeping bags
    17% on outerwear
    10% on packs
    17% on tents

unless made in USA or Mexico

if i remember correctly …

did u get charged duty on yr HMG Echo Dan?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

When I bought my MSR Carbon Reflex 2 I got charged 30% tariff for tents not made in the USA, plus the regular 13% HST plus the $5 fee the government charges me for the hassle they go through to charge me the other fees…..plus the seller was an idiot and he listed the value at $500 even though I clearly communicated with him to list the value at the actual purchase price of ~$350.

My bill was about $200 in taxes, fees and tariffs. Thankfully it wasn't sent via UPS or they would have added another $100 in brokerage fees on top of that. I was able to recover about 1/3 of that $200 when I submitting documentation showing the tent was only bought for $350, not $500. Even still, it would have been cheaper to just buy it for full price at MEC.

In general, it seems that most of the people at the border don't know about, or don't enforce these tarrifs. The Carbon Reflex 2 was the only time I've been stung on tarrifs. I rightfully wasn't charged tarrifs on the Echo I because it's made in the USA. I don't think I was even charged the 13% HST. Sometimes the border guys just don't bother. Back in Ontario I got charged HST + handling fees on anything worth over $20 as per the law, but out in BC a lot of the time they don't bother if it's under $100 or so.

When I bought my REI Quarterdome T2 (made in Asia) I didn't get charged any tent tariff.

nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

my experience has been that for any tents they charge fees, but for most else shipped USPS there are rarely fees. UPS/FedEx is a total joke, but I've had good luck at the border.

Johnathon Chelette

@sharethetoys

This deal is back up for the next 10 minutes.

Ben Corner
    Spectator

@ultimatekiwi

The 1100ml cookset is on SAC now for another 15 minutes.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools