Topic

New to the site-with a question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara New to the site-with a question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Joe Witt
    BPL Member

@philos

Great site!

I'll start with a question. I just acquired a superlightweight fly rod/reel and am looking to see the best way to backpack with this-need to protect the rod-it wasn't cheap.

What is a lightweight but strong protective carrier for the rod while traveling/backpacking?

Thanks

philos

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Joe, how much "protection" are your looking for? Or what is your version of strong?
    You could go with a aluminum rod tube that is very strong but in my opinion way too heavy. On the other end you could use 2 rubber bands, maybe not the least bit protective.

I use a very thin plastic tube much like what they sell on this site. It is also like the plastic protective tubes used for florescent light (you can get them at the lumber yard.

Maybe give us some more info to work with then we can help you better.

Richard Gless
    BPL Member

@rgless

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I've used a plastic tube for several years now. The first one I picked up at work, but since then I've gotten a couple at BPL (don't know if they still sell them). As the post above says, you can get them in various places in various wts. I've used them for years and never had a problem with damage to my fly rod.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

There's the Ebira. That might work for you.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

If it is a five piece or more I like to rubber band all the pieces together neatly and tightly so they all give each other strength then I wrap them in a 1/2 length closed cell pad I carry for the dog then I stack it vertically in the pack or in the side water bottle pocket and under the compression straps I use anything possible to put next to it to add strength such as a tent with poles or close to the stays inside the pack this all varies with what I pack for tent and equipment I just figure the harder it is to bend the harder it is to break. And I like some padding around it Most important is to be aware that it is there and careful how you handle and throw the pack around. And if your like me and you slipand fall you will take the cut or bruse but for petes sake SAVE THE ROD DONT HURT THE ROD ahhm… sorry. I have never broken a rod knock on wood. But the fish who fear me pray I will.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools