Topic

pyramid bug net

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear pyramid bug net

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

I can't afford an inner net for a MLD duomid that is inbound, so I was considering a MYOG version. Has anyone attempted a pyramid version bug net for the duomid?

I've also considered purchasing the sea to summit net (http://www.backcountry.com/sea-to-summit-mosquito-pyramid-net-shelter), and sewing a floor to it. I don't have much sewing experience but I have a grandmother who can help. How difficult would this be? Does anyone know if this net is even compatible with the duomid? Hard for me to tell since I don't have either yet.

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

I would go the route of the sea to summit, and adding a floor and zipper. It would be a pretty cheap way to get a nest. Plus it will give you some experience in sewing your own gear for some futute projects.

Just wait until you get the duo, and make sure the measurements are compatable with the sea to summit.

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

Are there any online resources on the types seams I would need to use with a silnylon bottom and the netting? Is there a particular way it would need to be sewn?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"Does anyone know if this net is even compatible with the duomid?"

Typically in my Duomid I keep the bug net to the rear, leaving the door area for gear and the off-angle pole.

This means the bug net has a vertical front wall, and sloping back and side walls.

Cruise through This Thread to see what I mean.

IMHO this is not the project to start with. But if you're up for an adventure, all the dimensions are there.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Jeff,
    You might check out BearPaw Tents. They're cheaper and you can do custom work.

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

For some reason I was thinking the bug net needed to cover most the usable space under the shelter. Do most people use smaller nets under shelters similar to the duomid?

carl becker
    Spectator

@carlbecker

Locale: Northern Virginia

I would have about 1/2 of the inside for the bug net. With a pyrimad you have an angled door that could let water into the bathtub floor of the bug net. I just used my solomid Sunday night in a very windy warm dry night. I used both trekking poles and had a quiet comfortable night. It is a bit small and the polyco is very slick. I really need to paint my Ti stakes though.

Jacob Linton
    Spectator

@gardenhead

Locale: Western NC

I use a solo inner with my Duomid. I find I don't need such a huge bug free space and the solo give me plenty for sleeping, reading etc.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools