Topic

Heineken/fosters pot guestion

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Heineken/fosters pot guestion

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Timo Anttalainen

@timoa

Locale: Finland, Espoo

Here in Europe beer cans is too soft and too narrow for pot use.

My friend is coming to New York and he could bring me couple pots. My friend is not a hiker and he don't know anything about beer pots.

How i can explain easily what i need? Is there many different sizes or materials? Where he can buy right beer? (foodstore, liguor store or gas station?) Maybe airport?

(sorry my bad english)

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

An empty (american) Heineken "Keg", with the top in place, weights 35 grams. It is about 15cm tall and 8cm at the widest. A Fosters is similar. If your ~700ml beer cans are similar in size and weight, I would assume the thickness/strength is the same. All are aluminum. You can tear them easily, once started, with your fingers, like paper.

A Fosters is very flexible. A Heine gets it strength from its shape and the "ribs" at each end.

So you may have what you need right there in Finland.

But, if not, then asking for a "22 ounce Heineken Keg" at liquor and beer stores is all you need to do. The clerk will either know Exactly what you are looking for …or not. In my small town, 3 out of 4 clerks are mystified, and the 4th will say "not until summer". In New York I suspect they are available year around.

Timo Anttalainen

@timoa

We have here in Finland 4 different shapes:
    tölkit

Left to right.
    Redbull 250 ml 11g.
    Normal soft drink or beer 330 ml 13g.
    Normal soft drink or beer 500 ml 18g
    Pint beer 568 ml 18g (same as 500 ml!)

330, 500 and 568 are same width.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

If your friend goes to New York to buy beer, how is he going to get them to Finland? He can't take them on the airliner.

–B.G.–

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

He'll have to drink them first! For all those in NYC watch out for the drunk Scandinavian carrying empty Heine cans.

Timo Anttalainen

@timoa

He drink it, have fun and take empty pot for me:)

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Hi Timo,
    Like Greg said, make sure he gets the 22 oz heinken keg can. They have a smaller one, but the 22oz is the one you want. It's the gold standard when it comes to cheap lightweight aluminum pots. I've used mine for over 2 years now.

Looks like this:

keg

If you use a safety can opener, you can take the top off and still keep it as a lid.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools