Topic

Weight of a Wet Shelter..

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Weight of a Wet Shelter..

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    John Rowling II
    BPL Member

@jrowling

Locale: Great Lakes Area

I know that a liter of water weighs 2.2 lbs., but how much weight do you think a wet shelter adds, assuming you have a fly and it’s a 2 person tent weighing in at about 5.5 lbs. Plus you have a wet footprint. Assuming that you have to keep moving and you’ve been in a downpour for 3 days or more. Just a thought for weight calculations. Thanks!

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

I’d volunteer to go try this but somehow I’ve been there before…what really ticks me off is the wet tent manages to get all the rest of your “dry” stuff wet. Then ya gotta build a wet fire and smoke everything for a couple of hours. I like alder smoked salmon/don’t like alder smoked sleeping bags.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Weigh your dry shelter in a gabage sack. Get it wet and put it back in the garbage sack and weigh it again.

A garbage sack will keep it from wetting the rest of your gear (which should be in waterproof sacks anyway), if you don’t keep it on the outside of your pack. That is where those big mesh pockets are handy– they work great with a tarp or poncho shelter.

Shaking off wet gear is one of the joys of breaking camp– cold mud and fir needles in your face as you and your partner shake the crud and water off. Yum…

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

One little trick for packing a wet tent/tarp is to have a mesh pocket on the back of your pack. It will let the tarp/tent drain some and keeps it handy for laying out during rest stops if the weather cooperates. Of course, as Dale says, shake it off.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools