Topic

hammock for banana sleep position?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping hammock for banana sleep position?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Joe L
    BPL Member

@heyyou

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr

For someone who prefers to sleep with head higher than heels, what LW hammocks are suggested? I have no back issues and use two pillows on a flat bed, likely due to former congestion from now medicated allergies. Sometimes I do lay down soon after eating. The ability to lay completely flat is not a selling point to me. Thanks for your suggestions.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

I'd suggest taking a look at hammockforums.net. I'm fairly new to the hammock game myself but for getting your head higher than your feet just mount your tree straps higher at one end. For a 'banana' sleep position you'll want a structural ridgeline to define the sag in the hammock. Check the forum above as they have a wealth of information. Also, I just finished watching Shug's videos on Youtube about hammock camping and they were very entertaining and informative.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong (perhaps even if I'm right…..), but you could probably use any hammock and just 'erect' it loosely if you want to sleep banana-shaped. Sleeping mostly flat isn't just a matter of sleeping somewhat diagonally, but also having the hammock 'stretched' properly between the trees.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Paul Gibson

@pgibson

Locale: SW Idaho

Joe, A bit depends on how extreme you want to get into that elevated position. Many folks will put a pillow under their knees and head to give them a bit of a sitting in a recliner feel. For that you don't need to go full banana but it can help make you feel more sitting up without being folded in 2.

Something like this?
    Sitting up banana

Or like this?
    relcined but with pillow

There is no right or wrong, just what is most comfortable for you.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools