Topic

water reservoir for gravity filter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) water reservoir for gravity filter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Locale: Northern California

I am setting up my own gravity filter system, and am looking for 3L water reservoir. I looked through the platypus website and only saw a 2L….do they make a 3L? If not are there any others you can recommend?
    Thanks
    dan

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

They make 2, 4, and 6 L models in the water tank.

I have older 2+ bottles that hold about 2.5 L.

Ben
    BPL Member

@benen

The hosed comes in a 3L. Moosejaw were sold out when I purchased my other stuff though so I had to get a 2L

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Dan,

I prefer the 4L water tank.

Allows me to the ability to haul water that might be a distance away from my campsite.

4L is enough for me to refill my 2 1L Platypus water bottles and give me 2L left…1 for dinner and 1 for breakfast in the morning.

Little heavier, but the convience is worth it to me.

-Tony

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

The only thing about the water tank is that it looks like the spout is on the side of the bag. How do you hang it to have it on the bottom so that gravity can do its magic?
    Thanks
    Dan

JJ Mathes

@jmathes

Locale: Southeast US

Dan- Platypus makes a 4L replacement reservoir for the CleanStream that can be hung in a vertical position, would that work?

http://cascadedesigns.com/platypus/filtration-and-storage/cleanstream-replacement-reservoir-kit/product

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

JJ
    Ya that is kinda the one I was lookin at….was just hopin to find something cheaper than $50. but lookin at the prices of other bags….I guess it may be a reasonable price.

I cant tell from the picture…but what type of nozzle is on the dirty bag? it looks different than the clean bag

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Dan,

Actually, I no longer hang mine water tank from a tree.

I find that it is easier/lazier for me to just lay the water tank on its side on a long, rock/boulder, etc and then let gravity do its thing.

What I have done in the past is to punch to grommet into the bottom flange of the water tank, which would allow me to run a cord through it and then tie the cord around a branch or around the trunk of a tree.

-Tony

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Dan, the dirty bag has a quick connect setup, whereas the clean bag uses the normal threaded cap.

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

OK cool
    So. I just ordered the bags, and my aquamira filter came in the mail today.
    Whats the optimal way to set it up….like do you attach the pump directly to the dirty bag, then a hose to the clean bag. Or do you put a hose between the dirty bag and filter and a hose between the clean bag and filter?

I was thinking of having a hose with a quick connect attach to the dirty bag with about an 18'' length, then the filter, then another hose that is about 18'' as well to my clean bag.

thoughts? ideas?

Thanks
    Dan

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

Dan,

The longer you can make the hose to the dirty bag the better because you'll get more pressure at the filter, and that translates into higher flow. I have maybe six inches between the filter and the clean bag and about 4 feet between the filter and the dirty bag. If you're restricted to 36 in. total, I'd recommend 2 to 4 inches from filter to clean, and 42 to 34 to the dirty.

My quick connect is on the clean side so I can filter water directly into my hydration bladder.

keith

Skip Booth
    BPL Member

@the1skipper

Locale: Southeast

Dan,

It looks like you already ordered something but for future reference I put one together by just buying a lightweight waterproof dry bag and the cheapest small platypus hoser I could find. I cut the end off the platypus and put a small hole in the bottom of the roll top dry bag and inserted the platy nozzle through and connected the hose. There's enough of a lip on the nozzle that it creates a waterproof seal at the connection. The nice thing is that I now have a 10L water reservoir that I can use to fill up for a group and have around camp for dinner and morning refills. The whole setup, including the Sawyer inline filter was around $55 and the total weight for the system is around 7 ounces.

-Skip

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Skip, anyway we can get a photo of what the drybag/platy hoser connection looks like? I'm having a hard time visualizing it. Thanks!!

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Ya I would love to see a photo of that setup too!

Thanks

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

hey all…so where do you get your tubing at?
    Thanks!

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

I get my tubing at a local independent hardware store. Maybe Home Depot or Lowe's carry it as well.

I have a tubing question: my polyurethane stuff is pretty stiff, not at all like the Platypus tubing. I also picked up some vinyl tubing, which is quite flexible. My question is whether vinyl is food-grade, or if some funky chemicals will leach over time from the tube to the water. Anybody know? Silicone is maybe better, but relatively more expensive. What material is used for kidney dialysis?

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

As far as I know, all vinyl out-gasses. I'd save my money and buy silicone. It doesn't impart a taste and it stays flexible. Can't help with the dialysis question.

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Hey all
    So I got all the parts for my gravity filter set up. I tried putting it together, but the tubing doesnt stay connected to the output on the aquamira gravity filter. Has anyone else had this problem? How do i fix it?

I am using the platypus tubing that goes with the cleanstream system.

Thanks
    Dan

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Anyone had this problem?

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

I don't have the Aquamira system but could you use a hose clamp (heavy) to make sure the tubing stays put? You may also have luck with a small zip-tie which would be lighter.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

My Platy hoses fit perfectly inside the outlet nub of the FP, but I'm using the older gray colored tubing. What I've found is that MSR's tubing has a slightly larger inside diameter and the Platy tubing can be shoved inside a 1" piece of that. Use an inch or so of the 8" tube that came with your FP, and place that in the outlet, and then splice your long Platy tube to that, using the 1" MSR "splicer."

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools