Topic

barefoot stream fording?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion barefoot stream fording?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Marasco

@babymatty

Locale: Western/Central PA, Adirondacks

Like Will, I did the BFT in July (amazing experience, btw. Hope you've been hitting the stairmaster.)There is only one wet stream crossing, as he said. Most of the rocks in that stream are very smooth, and covered in slimy stuff (very, very slippery). Slate Run, I believe. When I forded it, I was wearing Nike flip-flops. In retrospect, I would have gone barefoot and tried to find a stick or something for a third contact point, but we had a later start on our drive down there and didn't get on the trail til literally midnight (hiked up that first steep incline using headlamps!). The creek's flow should be significantly less at this time of year.

Do yourself a favor and camp on top of Hemlock Mountain. It's around mile 30 if memory serves me correctly, and there's no water for a good 3 miles before it, so plan accordingly. There's a great primitive campsite up there that seems to get little use (I'd assume since it's so far from water), and I'd wager the sunrise from that vista is amazing. I was really kicking myself for not camping there after the trip. Also, buy this map, it's very detailed and has a great graph showing profile elevation mile by mile-

http://www.smellycamper.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CJ-103607&click=16622

Cheers, and watch out for the huge killer rattlers. I saw three on my trek, almost stepped on one. Have a great hike!

Matthew Marasco

@babymatty

Locale: Western/Central PA, Adirondacks

This post will remain thoroughly ingrained in my mind for the rest of my hiking career

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Locale: Loco Libre Gear

I wouldn't risk going barefoot. The one wet crossing you will encounter is rocky and slippery, and it would suck to take a fall and have to bail in the first mile! I just slogged on through in my trail runners and kept on trucking. They'll dry soon enough.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Wow, Russ, you wear moccasins to hike in? I'm impressed.

carl becker
    Spectator

@carlbecker

Locale: Northern Virginia

I just walk on through however many times. After my X-Talons get wet I need to tighten up the laces a bit. The X-Talons have a very good grip making slippery footing easy. They dry fast and the wool socks keep my feet warm while moving. I carry a second pair of dry socks to use as needed.

T kawa

@kitsune

it's really not that impressive, I haven't done more than an overnight with the moccasins, but my feet, knees, and ankles feel Sooooo much better than when I wore gore boots (don't know what kind, but they're still sitting on my dryer unused for about a year). Also, they aren't really "moccasins" they are softstar runamocs with a ~3mm vibrum sole and lots of ventilation.
    The only time I regretted it was on mount tallac where a bunch of rocks jabed me in the arch…. I was in pain by the time I got back to the bottom and wishing for some tennis shoes (not boots. that was when I first got them though, so i assume my feet are tougher now.

But to stay on topic, they dry out well and I only use the neoprene socks for cold water and snow, otherwise just the mocs and wools socks.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Knee deep 35F glacial melt and broken granite or basalt boulders barefoot? Nooooooo!

A lazy lowland stream with a sandy bottom, sure, why not– unless it is littered and may have broken glass as mentioned previously.

You would think someone would jump on this. Crocs seem reasonable, if they will stay on, but they aren't really all that light. I keep looking for racing flats. I did find a pair of Puma running shoes that have a resin base much like the material in Crocs, but they aren't much lighter than the Crocs. I've look at all kinds of "slipper" style water shoes, but they don't do much— to thin and weenie for my tastes— just not worth the weight. Fly fishing folk use wading shoes with felt bottoms for traction. Seems simple enough to build a felt-soled sandal with some decent straps. Maybe glue two felt sole pieces together with the straps between?

And why aren't UL hiking shoes made more like water shoes in the first place? I could use shoes that are basically sandals with mesh sides— keep the rocks out and provide a stable platform, some toe protection, and traction. Meld the features of Keens, Chacos, racing flats, and water shoes. Good socks would take care of the rest and they can be swapped out for wading.

Ultimately, there is no free lunch (yet), especially if you are on the SUL side of things. Like the OP said, if you put megabucks into SUL gear, it seems a step backwards to add shoes that will be used for a few minutes.

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

You've convinced me to try the keep walking method but I also ordered the Sprint Aquatics mesh shoes that Mike W. mentioned earlier. They do seem like they'd be pretty good for stream crossings. I tend to not stop until just before dark and if I have late stream crossing just before camp, I don't think I'd want to stand around in wet shoes as the temperature quickly drops. With these I think I could change for the crossing or keep walking and change into these and dry socks in camp. They seem like they will be pretty functional for something so light and so cheap. Probably not very durable though. They probably won't work for bigger than a size 10 foot. If you do get them, order them big. I'm and 8.5 and ordered the 9-10. Not even close. Sent them back for the 11-12's and they will work for me.

Dug Shelby

@pittsburgh

Locale: Bay Area

I have to disagree with Roger on this one.

When you're out in the wilderness, your feet are your vehicle. They are fragile, not matter how tough you make them. If you see a sandy bottom, you don't know what the sand is hiding. Glass? Fish hooks? Jagged piece of metal? It's just not worth it.

If you're wearing trail runners, they should dry out quickly enough if they aren't the GTX.

Ot get a pair of Aqua Socks, or a pair of Flojos (remember those? Like Teva-style wraparounds, but light rubber? GREAT camp shoes), or take out the inserts and socks, and put them back on….or like Piper recommended, just go for it and slosh through. I like this method personally…it just keeps you moving.

But don't ever put your feet at risk unnecessarily in the backcountry…it's just not a wise option.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I used to do the advice that others gave me about switching to Crocks or flip-flops for crossings. I now agree with Diane.

These shoes are slippery on wet rocks, they can easily be pulled off by the current or at least pulled into a position that makes them useless or a handicap.

If it's cold enough to threaten frostbite, use the advice of wearing your shoes without socks, put your socks on after.
    If your shoes and socks are too wet after some walking, switch to your spare socks and hang the originals over your shoulders, under your clothing to dry.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

+1 for hammer one.

>>I just slogged on through in my trail runners and kept on trucking. They'll dry soon enough.<<

On my last outing I forded a rain swollen nearly knee deep stream. I kept my Moab Ventilators and wool socks on. We continued walking on afterwards and I encountered no problems the rest of that day's hike. I tried the next morning to go back to the previous day's socks which were not yet fully dry. I got a small blister on my heal in return for this mistake in judgement. ;-(

I would recommend non-waterproof shoes and always switching to a fully dry pair of socks after the crossing. I now carry a third pair of socks for just such an occasion. :-)

Party On,

Newton

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

In the end, I bought a pair of Vibram KSO Treks, so I just wade right in. I also carry a couple of Reynolds oven bags (plenty tough, you betcha) if the weather (and the water) is/ are really cold. The rubber bands around my trekking poles are meant to secure them to my feet and over the Vibrams during river crossings.

I haven't had a chance to try out this configuration yet because the weather has been warm enough to wade right in. However, if you're wearing conventional shoes, the bags work great as a vapor barrier inside the shoes. The shoes get wet, but your feet don't.

Stargazer

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

This happpend to me stepping on a nail. I was incapacitated, meaning i could not walk. IF i had been i the wild, in very remote areas(places i like to hike), i could have easily died if noone found me.

Its not worth it to save a few oz so you can cross barefoot. Im making cuben waders that will weigh less than 4oz and can be slipped ovee my trail runners. Im also considering a version where the runners are taken off, the wader put on, then some protective layer over top of it like ul sandals. This version will be less than 2oz.

wiggys also makes 9oz waders, im copying those, but in cuben.

nail in foot

adam blanton
    BPL Member

@adamallstar

Locale: Central Texas

http://bedrocksandals.com

"The average pair of Bedrock Sandals weighs around 2.5 ounces."

Might work well for crossings, wouldn't offer protection from stubbing your toe, but should keep the bottom of your feet from being cut up.

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net

I do it selectively, if I can see the bottom of the stream I'm walking in, and always slowly with hiking poles, feeling my way as put each foot down slowly.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

If the water's deep enough that I'm not going to stomp right through it ( ho ho ) in my gtx boots, then I definitely use sandals of some sort. I want protection for the soles of my feet and toes. Cold water makes for painful crossings, rocks can be slippery and injuries just aren't worth it.

I used to use Teva river sandals that I live in over summer, anyway, but I found that they'd pull off (or threaten to) in fast water or if I had to swim in them (for example, after pitching a canoe). I switched to Keens for the toe protection and have found they do retain sand/gravel (so I developed a patented wiggle under the water to clean them out, send your royalty payments to me if you try this) but give great traction and "swim well" for heavy shoes. They are heavy as heck, though, so I've been hunting for a set of knock-off Crocs that won't offend me as to price. To me, the Crocs will be a weight savings, have toe coverage and don't absorb much water (right?). Whatever I go with, it's sure as heck going to have toe protection. I need the versatility that provides.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Correct, Erik: Crocs (and knock-off Crocs) don't absorb water. We often bring them on family beach or BPing trips as a camp-, stream-crossing-, or walk-on-beach-shoes. There's a style with a strap around your Achilles tendon which stays on a bit better than the strapless style. They are very light, although bulky.

If you've got some fast water to cross, I'd strongly consider bringing a pair of velcro straps of the sort used to hold a pair of skiis together or to wrap up a 100-foot electrical cord into a bundle. Then, I'd fasten the velcro strap from Croc backstrap, over the top of my foot and back to the other side of the Croc strap, so as to create a more secure, sandal-like strap setup. Then I'd remove that strap after the stream crossing, change back to my hiking shoes and let the Crocs dry on the outside of my pack. They dry quite quickly.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I like the Sprint aquatics. They're very light and the mesh upper keeps them on your feet in a current, unlike flip flops. The sole is very thin though. Definitely better than going barefoot. Perhaps I'll try to find a little foam insert to beef up the sole; heck super feet would work…I wonder how heavy they are… Also you can wear the aquatics around camp. I get blisters instantly when my feet are wet, so wading in my hiking boots is not an option. Except in scary deep water!

Jamie Estep

@jestep

Locale: ATX

You guys see this one 5.6oz per pair?

http://www.inov-8.com/New/Global/Product-View-Evoskin.html?L=27

I love this brand and came across this browsing their website. Would make an excellent pack sandal for lounging and wading. Almost every hiking injury I've sustained was in a river, although I almost always plan my hiking trips to include fishing. Not sure if this would be less slippery, but it should protect against the stubbed toes and sharp stuff.

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools