Topic

How do you Go Ultralight Without Spending Major $$$? (please ignore previous thread).

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) How do you Go Ultralight Without Spending Major $$$? (please ignore previous thread).

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Frank,

just came across this at the BPL website. for sale by one of the BPL staff.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/118/index.html

grab it b/f it’s gone.

good luck,
    pj

Frank P.

@cthiker

Thanks paul, i just got back to check my posts for a minute and i’m glad i saw ur link. I dropped the guy an e-mail about the pack…hope i’m the first. That 5 bucks shipping to anywhere in the US is a great deal, too, because I live in CT!!! Thanks- Frank

Frank P.

@cthiker

Paul – I asked him about the pack and he said that other than for a couple minor blemishes (that he can only see at a certain angle in the light) on the bottom and a few light scratches on the buckle, it is like new. It is the ’03 model. I found a the same year’s model New at http://www.northernmountain.com/NMSmain.asp?Option=Detail&ID=GOLITEGustUltraliteClimbingPack&Dept=BB&Cat=BB0SubCat=BB01&ClearLast=Yes, for 60.00 with free shipping to anywhere in the US or 5 buck shipping for 3-day delivery. My question to EVERYONE is, should I go with the very lightly used ’03 GoLite gust for $50 bucks plus $5 dollar shipping to anywhere in the US, or the new one on this link??? Thanks – Frank

paul johnson

@pj

frank,

either seems to be good. i’m sure the BPL staff member selling his pack is trustworthy, as is all of BPL in my experience.

what about color? are both the same color? is color impt to you? go to the GoLite.com website and check out their Mtn & Trekking packs to find the Gust. just copy the following URL to your browser’s Address bar ==> http://www.golitestore.com/store/NS_proddetail.asp?number=PA5002#

the ’03 is 1oz lighter (Spectra threads – the white stuff in the fabric) vs the ’04 (Dyneema threads – the white stuff in the fabric).

frank, CT is NOT a big state. i live in Hamden. if you want to see my Gust pack b/f you buy one for yourself let me know. we can meet somewhere. maybe even do an afternoon/day hike & you can try the pack – i’ve got enough extra gear (including sleeping pad for the v. frame) that we can load the pack up proper (20-30lbs) & you can try it out. remember, it’s just a big ‘ol rucksack. i’ve read posts (not on the BPL website – another site) from people who were expecting something more than a rucksack. those people didn’t seem to understand the Light/UL philosophy or the concept of a virtual frame however. they were disappointed in the Gust.

let me know. you can email me at [email protected]. i check that more often than the posts on BPL.

good luck,
    pj

J R

@ravenul

In several places on the net, you can find various pack lists from the “15lbs, $300 challenge”.

Dont know where it originated but basically, its pack lists compiled with the basic notion that it must base weigh under 15lbs, and cost no more than $300.

LOTS of people have figured out how to do it.

Oh, and if you dont mind the traffic cone color, several places have the Kelty Lightyear going for as low as $80. Not bad for down.

Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

It’s interesting Joe mentions the ‘Traffic Cone Color’ for the Kelty Light Year. I guess that must be dependant on the year model.
    I have last years Kelty Light Year. It does come in a traffic cone orange storage bag, but the stuff sack is black and the bag itself is Yellow on Black.
    I agree $80 is good for a 25 degree (F) down bag.

J R

@ravenul

Cabelas (www.cabelas.com) has the 45deg lightyear on sale for $60. It is day-glo yellow. the 25deg bags were bright orange and now sold out.

Cabelas has this years model for $130 for the 25deg bag. It comes in “ocean”… a blue similar to GoLites “sea” color.

$130 still isnt a bad deal for a sub 2lbs down bag.

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

Hi Frank,

If you still haven’t gotten a GoLite Gust, Chris Eldred just listed one under Gear Swap Forum on Backpacking Light. Size is Medium, 8 days use on trail and asking $50. Check the listing: misc gear for sale.

Rich

Steven Miller
    BPL Member

@millergear

Locale: SE

Also check out the Gear Swap at TLB (The Lightweight Backpacker) forums: http://www.backpacking.net/forums/ubbthreads.php?Cat=

I’ve found a lot of good deals there.

Steve

Frank P.

@cthiker

Thanks for all of the information. I haven’t been able to go online for awhile because my computer was getting serviced. I did manage to purchase a GoLite Gust a while ago. Ordered a 2003 model Gust, Brand New, from Northern Mountain Supply for $60. Shipping was free UPS Ground. I still need a bag, but I was hoping for a relatively cheap, lightweight, synthetic bag (if there is such a thing). Thanks – Frank

paul johnson

@pj

Backcountry.com has 30 deg & 45 deg Kelty Light Year 3D bags (synth. bags) for $62-$99. weight is around 2lbs, give or take an oz. or two.

jeremy wo

@jwucd

I think previous posters have given good advice about sleeping bags, but I’d like to add to it.

Based on what you said about your current bag it seems likely it is rated at about 45 degrees or so. Since you’ve lived with it for 5 years I’ve found a 32 degree bag is great for most of my hiking. The North Face Kilo is rated at 32 degrees and weighs 2lb 1 oz. You can get it for $120 (plus shipping) at: http://www.travelcountry.com

I’ve also seen golite feather light 40 degree bags, 1lb 2oz, for about $150.

It may sound silly, but I don’t have much money to spend on light weight backpacking gear either (and I mostly day hike anyway), and I use an ounce/dollar ratio to determine whether something is worth it. You can cut a lot of weight by getting a lighter shelter, bag, and pack (in that order in my case). So I can justify spending more on those things. And I agree with previous posters who’ve said you don’t have to do it all at once. Start with the big stuff. Good luck.

Frank P.

@cthiker

My GoLite Gust came in the mail today. I’m wondering if anyone knows how to secure a pad to the pack for support? Still been having problems with the computer, so i’m bringing it back to the shop. I probably wont be able to check my posts for awhile, but any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks – Frank.

paul johnson

@pj

frank,

place your ROLLED sleeping pad into the Gust FIRST. allow/help the sleeping to expand into the largest cylindrical shape permitted by the pack bag. hopefully the pad will either partially or completely overlap for greatest strength. this creates the virtual frame. if you are carrying a great deal of weight (e.g., >30lbs), then IF you want you can insert tent poles (unless you are using a tarp or bivy for shelter) or arrow shafts between the folds/wrappings of your sleep pad nearest your back to act as an internal frame. for comfort your “home made” internal frame should NOT be directly against your back, but b/t the layers/folds/wrappings of your sleep pad – this also helps to prevent damage to the pack bag. again, this might ONLY be necessary if you are carrying >30lbs in the Gust. i use a hooped bivy for sleeping & place the bivies’ pole/rod in b/t the rolled pad even though my base weight ranges from 9.5-10.5 lbs & typically ~19.4lbs with 3d food (7.5lbs) & 2.38L of water. it’s just a good storage location for tent/bivy poles/rods.

after you are satisfied that the sleeping pad can’t be “unrolled” in the pack bag any further, load your gear in an intelligent fashion into the cylindrical space formed by the “unrolled”/expanded cylinder of the sleeping pad. i have my preference for the order used in loading gear which is based upon simple principles of physics, engineering, martial arts training, and common sense. however, my order differs fr/that mentioned on Pack Mfr’s website & also suggested by other backpackers – even some of the “gods” of lightweight backpacking. perhaps this is a, maybe controversial, subject for another thread? so i won’t go into that aspect of loading the pack here. i’m sure you’ll figure this part out for yourself anyways.

lastly, if you want, email me at [email protected] (that’s the numeral 0, not a capital ‘O’ in my email address), and tell me about your computer problem – perhaps i can give you some free advice/assistance (it’s what i do for a living – no…not free advice, but computer/software engineering). we both live in the same tiny state, so we are prob. not that far apart – distance-wise.

Glenn Roberts

@garkjr

Locale: Southwestern Ohio

Hi, Paul:

In your 3/19 post, you mentioned your “GG Nightlight pad.” I’m assuming that GG stands for Granite Gear. Like everyone else, I’m looking for lighter, better pads than Cascade Designs makes (though there’s really nothing wrong with their stuff.) I’ve always found that Granite Gear makes good, lightweight gear. However, when I went to their website, there was no Nightlight pad listed. Could you give me a little more information on it?

Thanks,
    Glenn

paul johnson

@pj

sorry, Glenn. my apologies, i wasn’t clear.

in some of my posts i first mention Gossamer Gear (formerly GVP gear), and then refer to it as GG. i’ve never owned any Granite Gear products – only a lot of Gossamer Gear products. so, for me there is only one GG, viz. Gossamer Gear. i’ll have to remember to make myself clearer in the future.

sorry for the confusion.

take care,
    pj

p.s. just checked my 3/19 post in this thread. here is what i wrote “…check out the GossamerGear 3/4 length NightLight Sleeping Pad…”

Glenn Roberts

@garkjr

Locale: Southwestern Ohio

Sorry, Paul – I forgot that GVP had changed its name. I was skimming posts when I read your reference – when I went back and read it thoroughly, you were completely clear. Thanks, and I apologize for my oversight.

Al Shaver
    BPL Member

@al_t-tude

Locale: High Sierra and CA Central Coast

I loaded my medium Gust with 44 lbs.(10.5lbs. base load, 5.5lbs. bear cannisters(2,Backpackers Cache cannisters), 26lbs. food(including 2 liters vegetable oil)and 2lbs. water when I started my 12 day unsupported hike of the 211 mile John Muir Trail. I didn’t have room to put my foam sleeping pad inside the pack, so at 14lbs. over it’s rated capacity the pack buckled badly and carried poorly. Exacerbating this was the lack of a sternum strap which caused immense pain at this weight level. Fortunately I was able to fashion a makeshift strap for the remainder of the trip and attach a proper sternum strap when I got home. At the Berkeley CA, Marmot Mountain Works I recently upgraded to a Large ’04 Gust for $60 and was assisted by Tim, the designer of the Gust pack. Following his instructions I inserted my foam sleeping pad into the pack and folded the last 12″ back against itself and placed this doubled section against the part of the pack that rests against my back. I then unrolled the rest of the pad inside the pack forming a large tube allowing the end of my 61″ pad to overlap the doubled section creating a triple layer of foam against my back. This created a very effective frame for carrying loads of 30lbs. and above with the weight on my hips like a frame pack. This is how I will be using my Gust in the future. Notes: I removed the foam sheet that came with the pack since I use my sleeping pad for padding and pack structure. I attached 1/2″ ladder lock buckles and straps to the tabs that the manufacturer provides on the sides of the pack to form 4 compression straps like most packs have. These are very useful for decreasing the size of the pack for small loads, for carrying skis and for hanging my Camelbak hydration bag. Yes, the Gust is a large rucksack. But it’s a very ergonomically designed and tailored rucksack. It fits the curve of the human spine beautifully and the shoulder straps probably don’t need a sternum strap at the pack’s rated load. Once I hit 30lbs. on day 7, I ran 25 miles per day over 12-14,000 foot passes and had no problems. I look forward to many challenging and fun days on the trail with my Gust. I wish you the same. P.S. I agree 100% with Ezra’s posting that recommends all the creative lowcost solutions from Wallmart and sinking $360 into a 1lb. bag like a Nunatak bag from nunatakusa.com or the ARC-X that they make for Bozeman Mountain Works available through Backpacking Light. Cheers, Al

Frank P.

@cthiker

Thanks everyone for the information, especially pj and Alan, and today i found a bag that i could not keep from buying for a number of reasons. Today, EMS had a 20% off sale so i decided to use my $100.00 EMS giftcard, that i got for christmas, towards a bag. I couldn’t help but purchase the EMS Mountain Light 20 (with the sale it cost just over $160.00, leaving me to pay about $60.00 cash for it). I love that it has a Pertex Microlight shell, 725-power fill down, a full length zipper, and weighs in at exactly 2 lbs for the regular. Now I’m
    set with everything except for a shelter. I’m not 100% opposed to using a tarp, but I do appreciate the simplicity of setting up a tent, and bugs are always a problem. Any suggestions???

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

TarpTents are quick and easy to setup and offer excellent bug resistance. I use one in northern MN and WI during peak skeeter season. You can find places with worse insects but not without trying hard.

Frank P.

@cthiker

Hey, thanks for the info, I like how the Tarptents look. Which model do you have? I was thinking of getting either the Virga or the Squall, and I was wondering if you have any thoughts on the two. Also, do you know where I could find one (of either) with a sewn-in floor that is relatively cheap, and still in good condition?

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

I started with a Squall as a large solo. That got me comfortable with the idea that I could be OK under a tarp. After surviving a few downpours in the squall I moved up to a Cloudburst as a more roomy shelter for two and down to a home made TT1 as described in the “projects” section of http://www.tarptent.com (and elsewhere).

If you have the time, watch the gear swap forum here at BPL, or post a want to buy note there. I’m sure there are other places to look but I’m not familiar with them.

My original squall is for sale but does not have a floor. If I thought I’d need to pitch a TarpTent on packed soil or in a depression I’d be inclined to get the “extended floor”. However, I’ve been able to find good locations and feel that a groundcloth just a little larger than my full length ridgerest pad is the best way to go. Any floor that extends near the perimeter of the roof is liable to catch and retain water. Much better to give that water the opportunity to soak into the ground.

I might be more prone to use a sewn in floor if I lived where insects and reptiles are more venomous.

If cost is an important factor and you have access to a sewing machine it is not so hard to make your own. http://www.thru-hiker.com sells kits. and you could buy extra material there for a floor.

BTW, I’ve found that I always bring in a bunch of skeeters when I enter the TarpTent but if I lay down they gatther near the peak and I then unzip the entrance and chase them out with my hand and close up again.

paul johnson

@pj

Frank,

You might also want to consider Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo e – CLICK HERE [Note: the ‘e’ is their current model & stands for “enhanced”.]

When you click the above link, be sure to move your mouse pointer ON-AND-OFF the picture of the Green Tent. The vestibule will open-and-close in response to your mouse movements.

It’s basically a hexagon (when the vestibule fly is deployed) & has a floor & 15″ of bug netting on 4 sides & full bug net on front door. Has overhangs on 4 sides to prevent wind driven rain from entering & the vestibule prevents rain from entering the front mesh door.

Improvements have been made over the prev. slightly diff model (Lunar solo) which is reviewed by BPL’s very own Dr. J RIGHT HERE

Wt. is a bit lighter than the HS Virga2 (current model) and even lighter when the Virga2 has a sewn in floor.

I have no first hand experience with either, but have been reading everything I can on both in prep. for a purchase myself. So check out the Lunar Solo e & Virga2, & also the HS Original TarpTent (similar to a Virga) manufactured by license from HS TarpTents by Moonbow: HS Original TarpTent

The original is far lighter (15oz + 2oz for “beaks” – you will want the beaks since you live & prob hike in CT & the No.East. – a whole lotta’ rain). You can get other custom features like a sewn in floor if you feel that you really require one. For 1.3oz you can get a Polycryo gnd sheet HERE

[note: In case you haven’t heard of GossamerGear, they are top-notch. Best service I’ve ever had from any web merchant. BPL carries one of their packs on this website . I don’t think BPL would carry GG products if there were any problems with GG gear.]

Jim,
    Good idea on gettin’ rid of the skeeters. All these years I’ve been swattin’ ’em. I’m going to try your idea. I should have known better since insects are negatively geotactic (i.e., they move away from the source of gravity) and positive photo-tactic (i.e., they move toward a light source) This, BTW, is a good way to get a little bugger out of your ear (i.e. ear up & a light shining in it).

Frank P.

@cthiker

Hey, Jim and Pj, thanks for all of the info. Jim, you said that your original Squall is for sale. After looking at some really light groundsheets, I’ve decided that a floor isn’t a priority anymore. What’s the year? The condition? What are you asking for it?

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Frank,

let’s take this off line … my_firstname at my_lastname dot net

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools