Topic

Let’s talk backpacking slang

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Let’s talk backpacking slang

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Ben Egan

@benjammin21

Locale: The Grid, Brooklyn

Sorry, I posted it again.

I was trying to insert it as hyperlink but I keep getting the code wrong I think.

Just for good measure,

https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=1doJ68Vm6wP_bFMkks0fYR_KgYP0noILhai3lWlO70Nk&hl=en

Ben Egan

@benjammin21

Locale: The Grid, Brooklyn

A lot of what I've been using and has been suggested is jargon (which I love, and is so fun to say) but not slang according to the definition of my prof.

What should be focused on is categories, or words that include a category of people (thru-hiker is classic, gram weenie, or Triple Crown usually puts someone in a different category) even meths can be use I think, and I defend that because other backpackers (my father included, old scoutmaster too) don't trust stoves other than white gas or canister. But words like DIAD or ruck or yo-yo or skin out weight or cowboy camping are hard to defend, but perhaps arguable.

What do you think? Do these words specify or have a connotation of a category of people? Or do other people associate these words with judgement? Or no?

coyboy camping
    DIAD
    freezer bag cooking
    mid
    Westie
    fastpacking
    bombproof
    nest
    MYOG
    DAM
    trim
    cat curve

edit:

and PUDs (pointless ups and downs) expresses a judgement/opinion/whateveryouwannacallit. so it counts.

and chris: I really want to use that. but how?

chris kersten

@xanadu

Locale: here

I didn't see my favorite word above. "Blazed", "Follow the yellow blazes for about six miles".

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

I find that there isn't much if any difference when I think about what separates the two (jargon vs slang). Perhaps jargon is more associated with language related to a group of people such as medical jargon, sailing jargon, etc. Slang may be more of a rude comment associated to a group or person. I think you could defend most of what you have already. In any case couldn't you replace the jargon term 'yo-yo' to a slang term such as a 'yo-yoer'? Is the difference only a noun vs. verb? Of course I'm not the prof. but I fail to see his point in making the terms different in such a situation.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools