Topic

Waterproof Zipper Installation

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Waterproof Zipper Installation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

I bought some YKK #3 Uretek Waterproof Continuous Coil Zipper from thru-hiker and have a dumb question.

Which way do I install it?

When I look at a zipper, it has a front and a back and usuallu the front would face out. However, it appears that there is a waterproof coating on what I would consider to be the "back" of the zipper. Do I install this zipper with the front facing in and the back facing out towards the elements?

I hope this makes sense. :)

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Locale: Scotland

Yup, you should have the shiny, waterproof side facing out.
    If the zip puller is one sided, that should correspond and face out.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Yup, install it backwards.

MTN
    BPL Member

@madscot

Locale: PNW

how do you install waterproof zippers? sew it and then use seam tape? I have no idea

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Thanks guys!

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Madeline,

Generally you would just sew it in place and then seam seal it with something like Seam Grip to get it fully watertight.

Steve: What are you making now? :)

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Generally you would just sew it in place and then seam seal it with something like Seam Grip to get it fully watertight.

Nice, thanks, that's what I figured but wasn't 100% sure.

What are you making now? :)

I'm starting to build my new winter shelter. It's kind of a wacky idea/design so we'll see how it works out…will definitely keep you guys posted.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Neat…it'll be interesting to see what you come up with.

I'm working on the worlds lightest rain jkt right now. I should be done tomorrow. It's a zipper-less, hoodless cuben pull over. I'm guessing it'll be sub 2oz….maybe sub 1.5oz.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I usually use regular coil zippers and never noticed much water coming through.

But I normally put the zipper vertically so water just naturally runs down the zipper rather than into the tent.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"I usually use regular coil zippers and never noticed much water coming through."

Yes, and you can augment that by lubricating the zipper with a bar of soap. It does not make it waterproof, but it helps some.

–B.G.–

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

Bob,

I reckon I need to call you on that one. While soap might work to make the zipper run easier, it gets you clean by lowering the surface tension of water. In other works, by making you wetter. I can't see how it would make any zipper MORE water resistant.

Candle wax on the other hand, might be a goer.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

The last time that I did this, it seemed to block rainwater by clogging up the zipper teeth.

You can call me if you wish, but you don't have my phone number.

–B.G.–

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools