Topic

I need a tarp….

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) I need a tarp….

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

I'm looking for a silnylon tarp – roughly 8×10, plus or minus.

Used would be great, but recommendations for new would be appreciated.

I tried Alpinlite Gear, but Gen is not taking orders right now.

The OES MacCat tarps look nice, maybe I'll go that way if he has them in stock.

Where else should I check?

Are there any west coast vendors?

Thanks in advance…..

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

Oware seems pretty decent. You could also look at Bear Paw Tents. The latter has a few tarps on ebay for a discount but not always.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I purchased my 8×10 silnylon tarp from Campmor, a lot of years ago. It sat around unused until this year, and it got used on a rainy/snowy trip. I've been doing business with Campmor now for almost 30 years, and they have never fouled up an order yet.

–B.G.–

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Integral Designs Siltarp 2:

$118.00 at http://www.e-omc.com

Not sure how that compares in price with the Oware stuff, which seem to get high praise here on BPL.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

is the cheapest sil is probably …

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___20069 … 13 oz …80$

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

If you're willing, look at the homemade tent thread in the Philmont section. Very simple and cheap to make 112"x91" flat tarp unless you'll be in lots of wind.

Vince Contreras
    BPL Member

@pillowthread

Locale: like, in my head???

I've got an ID Silwing that I'd not soon trade for a flat tarp of a similar size. Indeed, I'd call it better in all respects than a flat tarp, save for configuration options. Replace the supplied paracord with masons line for the guylines, as I have, and the whole setup comes in under 13oz. My wife and I have used it under extended (1-2 days) heavy rains, without bivies, and stayed completely dry (seam-seal the ridgeline though). I've added 1/4" shock-cord loops at each tieout point to eliminate the need to re-tighten in the middle of the night. The catenary-cut edges/ridgeline really do help reduce flapping in high winds, while the edges, specifically, allow a bit of cross-breeze in (thus reducing condensation misting). One can find the Silwing for around $100 without too much trouble. I use it every time I go out when there's no bugs to worry about, or heavy snow in the forecast.

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

http://gargoylegear.webs.com/

edited: i am neither of those dudes

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Thanks for all the input……….I ended up buying MacCat Deluxe…….

Frank Steele

@knarfster

Locale: Arizona

They also have tarps on their web site

http://www.bearpawtents.com/109tarp.html

I am really happy with the Minimalist Bug Bivy he designed for me (and now sells.)

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

I have an Etowah outfitter siltarp 6×10 that you (or anyone else) can have for $50 shipped

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools