Topic

Modifying my G4 (a tiny bit)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Modifying my G4 (a tiny bit)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Einstein X
    BPL Member

@einsteinx

Locale: The Netherlands

HeyHi,

I want to add a waterbottle holder to the shoulderstrap of my GG G4. I already have some bungeecord and a cordlock, now to attach it to my G4.

I’m thinking about simply puncturing two holes in the outer fabric of the shoulderstrap, threading the bungeecord through, et voila. I am worried though that after time these holes will get larger and will eventually make a big hole in the fabric.

Has anyone added waterbottle straps to their G4 or does anybody have some 2cts on the best way to do so? Should i first heat the needle and so burn a whole in the fabric or is it a better idea to add a daisy-chain kinda webbing and looping the bungee cord through that?

Thanx Eins

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

I would sew some nylon webbing to the straps (daisy chain). I don’t know if cutting holes in such delicate fabric would be a good idea.

Dwight Shackelford

@zydeholic

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I’ve been thinking about adding some utility to the shoulder straps on mine.

I’ve been thinking of sewing some velcro hook down the length of the straps. That way, I could also put a movable sternum strap on there. But I haven’t assembled the straps yet.

However, you might be able to sew some short strips of velcro by going in through the opening used to stuff the straps. Unless you didn’t put those in.

Dwight

Dwight Shackelford

@zydeholic

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Actually, now I’m thinking about using some adhesive velcro down the front of the straps, so I don’t put more holes in the material.

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

Dwight,
    Preveous attempts to uses stick on velcro resulted in failure under damp conditions and field use…personally. I recommend sewing velcro, seal the back as necessary.

Pan

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Or buy plain Velcro and use a better adhesive. The self-adhesive stuff is fine for smooth surfaces like you would find in a business environment, but a little silicone or polyurethane glue will hold it down outdoors. Watch the corners where a peeling action could start– the challenge is to get enough glue on the edges without running all over the place.

I had posted elsewhere about the Amphipod “snap flasks.” They would be perfect for this application. http://www.amphipod.com/8400/8400.html

BRIAN DARSEY

@t-back

I have done this to mine. I did not use cordlocks. I tied the bungee cord tight enough to fit into the grove of a 20oz gatorade bottle and hold it in place. I simply passed the cord around the strap and through the thumb/platy hose loop so that the bottle would not slide down the strap. I have used this setup on several trips and have had no problems. The cord is snug enough to keep the bottles in place even when I sling the pack up on my back.

Brian
    T-BACK

Einstein X
    BPL Member

@einsteinx

Locale: The Netherlands

Brian,

Thanx for this great solution. Yesterday i tried your idea. It works perfectly. I had a smack-my-forehead moment than, your solution is so simple and it worked great in my kitchen.

Now to try it out in Ireland. (Only 4 weeks away :D)

Eins

BRIAN DARSEY

@t-back

Glad I could help. Good luck on your trip!

Brian
    T-BACK

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools