Topic

wilderness first-aid class?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique wilderness first-aid class?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Amanda L

@astickfigure

Can anyone direct me to a good place to start with a wilderness first aid class. I would like to build up my skills a bit. don't need certification or anything. I would just like to know some more ways to help out if the situation calls for it.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Try your local Red Cross.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Check out the "Calender of Events" at REI. They have a general first-aid class every 3 months or so.

2 cents worth

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Any store/business/enterprise offering guided adventures – biking, rafting, climbing, etc. can tell you who they use to certify.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

The standard Wilderness First Aid class is 16 hours. It does not include CPR which you should take separately (and may be able to get free through your employer). It is well worth the time and money! You can, of course, take a Red Cross standard first aid course, but those classes are based on emergency services being right around the corner. In a wilderness situation, rescue may be days away. In a WFA class, you will learn about evaluating and stabilizing a patient, how to move a patient, when rescue is necessary and when you can walk the patient out, how to improvise with materials at hand in the field.

REI has been offering Wilderness First Aid classes at many of their stores, mostly through NOLS.

Here's the NOLS schedule, which includes the classes they teach for REI: http://www.nols.edu/portal/wmi/courses/wfa/

In some areas, the American Red Cross offers WFA for about the same price. They require you to have current CPR/AED certification before taking the class.

My WFA class was through REI and taught by Remote Medical International; their classes are offered mostly in NW Washington, although they did teach in the Portland area last spring. Here is their schedule: http://www.remotemedical.com/wilderness-medicine-training/Wilderness-First-Aid-WFA

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Boy Scouts now require "high adventure" crews have at least one participant with a current WFA certification. Ask your local BSA council if they offer anyting and if yes, who teaches it.

Sarah Kuhn
    BPL Member

@sckuhn

Locale: Mountainous Ohio

Do a little research before you sign up for a class. I recently took the Red Cross version of this course and while the class provided me the 'certification' I needed, it didn't provide me with any information I didn't already know. For the money and time invested I should have spent the extra $25-$50 and taken a NOLS class. Talk with other people who have take the course from the instructors you will have if possible….not all Red Cross classes are bad, I just had a weak set of instructors.
    Good for you to prepare yourself with not only gear, but also knowledge!!!

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Take NOLS, not Red Cross WFA courses. Agree.

Cris H
    BPL Member

@hikingguy-com

Yea, agree. I just took the NOLS/REI course and it was great. A must if you spend any time in the backcountry.

I have a review of the course on my site here: NOLS Wilderness First Aid Class Review

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Another vote for NOLS. I did it through REI as well.

I’ve also done WFA through SOLO and strongly preferred the NOLS curriculum.

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

If you’re in the SF Bay Area (or nearby) Bobbie Foster offers a great WFA class – she’s an outstanding teacher. Her class schedule (and more info) is at fostercalm.com

I’ve taken a WFA class offered by the local Boy Scouts council – nowhere near as good as that offered by Bobbie. I’ve also heard mixed reviews about the WFA offerings from Red Cross.

The NOLS classes are highly regarded and many REI locations offer those classes.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Old thread and I’m sure the OP is long gone.

I’ve not taken the Red Cross WFA course but they are running 15+ years behind TCCC and other combat proven protocols for treating trauma, so I don’t have much confidence in them to try it out.

I can only speak for my one and only experience with WFR which was instructed by Wilderness Medical Associates.  I thought the classroom to practical exercises were balanced well.  When I took the course, I was a working EMT and Paramedic student, and a Combat Lifesaver prior to this course, and walked away from it feeling that it was a good investment of time and resources.

They offer WFA and a WFA to WFR bridge course.  If you think you may go the WFR route later on down the road, that’s worth considering.  NOLS likely offers that too but I’ve never trained with them.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools