Topic

AT weekend trip gear list.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists AT weekend trip gear list.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Brian Hall
    BPL Member

@brian2o0o

Going on an AT weekend trip this weekend with my new MLD Burn pack. Thought I would list my gear list for the trip. Anyways, I'm doing about 20miles… I will be getting up there late afternoon friday and getting off the trail around noon on sunday. Doing the section from Albert Mtn to Wayah Bald. Temps are supposed to be around 33 to 35 in town at night, and mid 60's during the day( 0% chance of rain all three days).

LIST:

MLD Burn w/ hip pockets – 12.9oz
    Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 – 31.9oz
    Marmot Hydrogen – 23.5oz
    Thermarest Neoair medium – 12.6oz
    Backcountry titanium pot – 3.7oz
    Caldera cone UL – .8oz
    Graham Cracker esbit stove – .12oz
    Petzl e-lite – 1oz
    First Aid Kit – 1.7oz
    Sea to Summit spork – .3oz
    GG thinlight 1/8 pad – 1.75oz
    Mini BIC lighter – .4oz
    Spyderco Ladybug knife – .6oz
    50ft. Kelty Triptease – 1.3oz
    Jason Klass frontier pro filter – 3.3oz
    Rubbermaid screw top dish – 1.2oz
    Granite Gear bag(bear bag) – 1.8oz
    Toilet Paper – .8oz
    Sanitizer – 1.1oz
    Titanium stakes x8 – 1.75oz
    BPL pillow – .85oz
    Gatorade bottle – 2oz
    Mountain Hardwear beanie – .9oz
    Golite Tumalo jacket – 9.5oz

Total: 115.78oz = 7lbs 3.8oz

Jack G

@nomadjack

Locale: Midwest

I was in and around Damascus a couple of weeks ago and some of the south bounders had just recently been there or were close. You will probably be running into some of them. One guy David from Maine had a foam egg crate mattress tied to the outside of his pack. He was doing big miles so more power to him and he probably slept great, it looked really comfortable. The shelters were empty. You 'might' consider leaving the Fly Creek behind or taking just a tarp. Of the 5 or so south bounders I met none of them were carrying tents and had not had any problems with the shelters being full. Not sure how the shelters line up for the section you are doing so YMMV.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Overall, I think you have a great list, but I will throw my two cents in.

First your Fly Creek doesn’t seem to fit the rest of your gear. Sure it isn’t that heavy, but you could certainly go lighter and get more room at the same time.

What is the Rubbermaid screw to dish for? Could you not just eat out of your pot?

Also, if it going to get to around freezing at night, are you going to be warm enough around camp with just a rain shell over your hiking clothes? If you are, that is great, but I don’t think I would be. Of course you can always go jump in your sleeping bag when the sun sets. I would also add a pair of light gloves, but my hands get cold easily.

Have a great trip!!

Brian Hall
    BPL Member

@brian2o0o

Yea the Fly Creek is probably a little more weight than needed. I bought it a while back and haven't had a chance to use it yet, so basically i'm just taking it this trip to try it out and see how I like it. The rubbermaid dish is to eat out of, I'm taking my cousin with me who doesn't have alot of gear at the moment so we are both going to be using my stove and pot to cook with. I am usually fine at those temps with just a lightweight jacket on, but I may add a lightweight 100weight fleece in there. Gloves, at those temps i'm usually fine just sticking my hands in my pockets. Only time they may get cold is packing damp stuff up in the morning, but thats only for a few minutes.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools