Topic

Sierra Designs Mach 1 Tent (weight understated)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sierra Designs Mach 1 Tent (weight understated)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    FRANK HERDMAN
    Spectator

@fherdman

Beware if you’re thinking about buying Sierra Design’s new Mach 1 tent. The packaged weight as advertised, depending on where you look, is either 3 lbs, 4 ounces (that’s what the tag on the tent states) or 3 lbs, 6 ounces (that’s what the SD website says). In fact, the packaged weight (i.e., including everything) is actually 4 lbs, or approximately 20% more than advertised. (I weighed mine on two different scales with the same result.) There’s not too much you can do to get the tent below the packaged weight close to the advertised weight unless you leave tent stakes at home, which is probably not a good idea for a freestanding tent.

A customer rep for SD explained to me that the tent was redesigned to include pole sleeves instead of clips, which resulted in the increase. Unfortunately SD continues to grossly understate the tent’s weight.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

David Ure

@familyguy

Hi Frank,

I get the impression that you own the Mach 1. What are your thoughts on the tent as a whole? Although obviously heavier than first thought, it has some virtues – decent space, huge vestibule, stability, etc. Would you recommend this tent? Thanks in advance….

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools