Topic

Ex-Officio Give-N-Go Briefs Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Ex-Officio Give-N-Go Briefs Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Companion forum thread to:

Ex-Officio Give-N-Go Briefs Review

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

While I'm not in the market for men's underwear :-), I switched to Ex-Officio women's underpants a couple of years ago–for full-time wear, not just backpacking–and really love them!

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

we're reviewing mens underwear now?

just waiting for a women's bra review … with pics ;)

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

I must say Roger is looking in great shape in the underwear photo. A real advert for the health benefits of backpacking.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

May seem to be a trivial matter, sort of scarping the bottom of the barrel , however wet underpants can be a pain in the something or rather.
    I switched to those Ex Officio unmentionables after a trek when I could not get my lycra stuff to dry overnight and even after 2 days ( it rained a lot) . Had to wear them damp to dry them , but of course they were damp again with sweat in the afternoon.
    Now I have a happy bottom.
    Franco
    No photos will be supplied.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

I didn't understand your reference to the waist band issue until I saw your photo of typical Australian briefs. Wow, the waistbands are just awful. I haven't seen anything like that here in the states in a while.

Randy Brissey
    BPL Member

@rbrissey

Locale: Redondo Beach, CA

Many years ago a few of us cross-sport type took to wearing triathalon bib bicycle shorts as underwear with over shorts liners removed. We didn't have to deal with where your belt and shorts interferred. I just wish somebody would make a pair with more durable fabric. I loved my old system until they wore out!

Randy

David Brancolini

@dbranco

Locale: Southeastern US

Reading your review I believe I will give the Give-N-Go Brief a try.

I am normally a 'boxer' kind of guy and own a pair of the Give-N-Go Boxer along with other brands of boxers. The Give-N-Go has been my favorite underwear of choice when walking, hiking and backpacking.

Hamish McHamish
    BPL Member

@el_canyon

Locale: USA

Good review Roger. Undies seem mundane until you're 3 days out and getting chafed. Then every step is pain.

For those with thicker thighs looking to prevent the inner thigh chafe, Ex Officio's boxer briefs are made the same way as the give-n-gos but with a little extra coverage. They've held up great for me.

Alan Seegert
    BPL Member

@zemmo

Locale: AK/NM

I think underwear are really important. Chafing, moisture retention contributing to fungal blues, drying time, lack of odor retention, interference with a pack; all these are important.

I have been using nothing but merino wool for briefs for the last year or so, including the Annapurna Circuit, and find them the best of any underwear I've used. T-shirts are great, too.

Mitchell Keil

@mitchellkeil

Locale: Deep in the OC

I know that seem a bit of an overstatement in commenting on underwear, but dang, these ExOfficio undies really do exactly what they claim to do. I used to use a jock as my preferred undergarment but I had these undies in the drawer for use when we travel. Decided to try them outon a hot sweaty overnight in the San Gabriels. I have never been so comfortable. They do in fact breathe and keep you drier and cooler than anything else I have worn. They are supportive. And as has been pointed out dry in few hours time. They are also very durable. I have had the same two pair I have used for a year backpacking for at least 3 years of overseas travel. They look exactly as they did the day I bought them from REI.
    I would give these a highly recommended rating!

Matthew Brewer

@smalladventures

Has anyone tried comparing the Ex-officio to wool undergarments? I've been tempted by both for normal city wear (no undies seems to work fine in the back country) but don't want to spend the money if there isn't any gain.

Pit Martin
    BPL Member

@pit5785455

10 days on the Colorado Trail last August, rained nonstop for 7 days (not used to that here in Colorado), the Ex Officio briefs were great. No odor, wash and dry quickly. I now wear under the work clothes (suit & tie). Highly recommend. Pit Martin

Aaron Benson

@aaronmb

Locale: Central Valley California

I'm not a brief(s) sort of guy but I do wear, enjoy, and prefer–in all situations–ExOfficios in the boxer style.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

Interesting blog post on chafe.

http://krudmeister.blogspot.com/2010/10/chafe.html

Alan Seegert
    BPL Member

@zemmo

Locale: AK/NM

I've done extensive smell checks, and find that all of the synthetics stink worse than wool, after many days w/o washing. Silk is pretty good, too. And the early polypropylene was the worst ever devised!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"And the early polypropylene was the worst ever devised!"

Let's just say that it developed a character of its own.

I still have 30-year-old polypro long johns that I wear, but only for about one day at a time.

–B.G.–

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

>I'm not a brief(s) sort of guy but I do wear, enjoy, and prefer–in all situations–ExOfficios in the boxer style.

For the middle-of the roaders in the crowd, the boxer briefs solve the chafing problem and they look soooo good as far as the "package" is concerned (this, according to my wife, who is a student of such matters). ;-D

Stargazer

Hoot Filsinger
    BPL Member

@filsinger

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Sizing guide list large at 36-39 (waist) and XL at 40-43. Any one have a sense of these numbers being true to fit?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I am normally a Medium, and the Medium fitted me.

Cheers

Pedro Arvy
    BPL Member

@pedroarvy

Locale: Melbourne

I've said it before and I'll say it again (somewhere on this site), women's underpants are lighter and dry faster – even if you are a man.

Lou Darveniza
    BPL Member

@darveniza

I have been a happy Ex-Offico briefs walker for some years.
    Locally (Brisbane Australia) I have advised at least one person who was proud of going COMMANDO (i.e. no u/pants) not to because of the prevalence of ticks & often leeches with dangers therein. I remember one hilarious occasion of Grant calling in at small rural hospital North Queensland with a TICK IN HIS NAVEL after our removal efforts failed. Leeches in the eye are also an interesting scenario which we best solved via salt water then sterile saline solution (now always in our first aid kits for eye injuries so possible in thick scrub).

LOU D

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

>I'm not a brief(s) sort of guy but I do wear, enjoy, and prefer–in all situations–ExOfficios in the boxer style.

For the middle-of the roaders in the crowd, the boxer briefs solve the chaffing problem and they look soooo good as far as the "package" is concerned (this, according to my wife, who is an student of such matters). ;-D

Stargazer

Ditto.

donald buckner
    Spectator

@toomanyarrows

Locale: Southeast U.S.

I wear 34 pants, and the mediums are a good fit. I bought a couple pair 2 years ago, and since picked up enough to wear daily. I really like mine and my wife likes them too.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools