Topic

Want eVent jacket…but pit zips needed

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Want eVent jacket…but pit zips needed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Michael McMahon

@knivesandguns

The REI shuksan just went on sale, however the jacket does NOT have pit zips. Would it be fairly easy to put these into the jacket? I have no skill in sewing, and I live in the Beaverton/Portland area of Oregon

Dave Richardson

@dzrichwm

An eVent jacket really doesn't need pit zips–stuff is pretty amazing. Promise.

Also, if you wear a small, you can save $50 and 4oz if you like the looks of either of these:

http://www.backcountry.com/backcountry-stoic-event-shell-mens
    or,
    http://www.geartrade.com/item/150590

I have the Bombshell jacket by Stoic and, though heavy, the thing is bombproof in every sense of the word.

David Ure

@familyguy

Putting pit zips on an eVent jacket defeats the purpose of eVent. Why not just buy something not breathable with pit zips and save some substantial cash?

Michael McMahon

@knivesandguns

When I exert myself I sweat a lot–not because I'm out of shape, but I've always been that way. Even in reviews containing eVent jackets, the reviewers have always been more happy with the addition of the pit-zips.

Or maybe I just need to go try one out since REI's return policy is so good…

nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

Mike I'm in the same boat as you – I was just looking at the Westcomb Cruiser jacket w/ pit zips. I think that's going to be the ticket!

David Ure

@familyguy

Agreed – pit zips are key. But if you are overwhelming the fabric so that the sweat is not leaving the inside of the jacket, then buy something way cheaper with pit zips.

Your logic escapes me.

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

I was looking for the same thing . I ended up with a Montbell Rain Trekker . The Breeze-Dry fabric is very much like eVent , good set of pit zips, good pockets that ride above a hip belt. Best of all you can go to Oregon Mountain Community in N.E. and try one on . And they price match if you can find a deal online. Check it out.

Matt F
    BPL Member

@matt_f

It seems the point of having the most breathable jacket possible is that there will be a much wider comfort range in which the fabric is able to keep up with perspiration and pit zips aren't necessary. Push beyond this range, and open up your pit zips for better venting.

I like pit zips, but they do leave gaping holes along each side that can let in cold rain/snow/gusts of wind. I think of pit zips as an additional step up in venting to be used as necessary, and don't use them if I don't need them because when I'm wearing a shell, I often want full protection from the elements. Regarding eVent shells, it's reasonable to assume you won't need pit zips as early/often, which may be of benefit in many conditions. Whether or not this is worth the money is more of a personal decision.

Matt

Matt F
    BPL Member

@matt_f

edit: double post.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

If you're sweating so much you feel you need pitzips, you're wearing too much clothing. Either take off the shell or wear something thinner underneath.

Seriously, if you're so hot that you have to completely open up a jacket, you're overwhelming the system, and you're obviously warm enough to not need the shell. I've found that people, including myself, tend to overdress for conditions.

If you're hiking in 30*F rain, shove the under and shell sleeves up around your elbows, unzip the chest as you can.

Michael McMahon

@knivesandguns

Thank you everyone for your input.

I decided that I'm just going to go ahead and order it, and if I need pit zips–I'll consult here about how to do that without hurting my jacket. It's still cheaper than the TAD gear Raptor, and I kinda need to save all that I can right now.

-M

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools