Topic

3-season “do it all” pants…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 3-season “do it all” pants…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Tony Burnett
    Spectator

@tlbj6142

Locale: OH--IO

I wear and typically hike in spandex shorts. But I still bring one pair of “long pants” with me for breaks/rain, etc.

Currently, I bring along my UL man Tights and a pair of O2 Rainshield pants. The bottom third of the O2 pants are starting to show their wear. So, I’m seaking out a replacement. What about a 3-season softshell pant?

What material? Schoeller Dynamic? Dryskin, Dryskin Extreme? Cloudveil’s Interia, or the newer Interia plus?

I would _think_ Dryskin (and extreme) might be a bit too warm. Maybe not?

Is Dynamic cooler? How does it shed wind/rain?

Interia? I assume “plus” is just tougher . Prospector, Rodeo, or the new Peak pant? What is the difference between Prospector and Rodeo pants?

Any thoughts?

Philip Strickland

@mtnbnd

Have you considered Moutain Hardwear’s Transition Featherweight Tight? The stated weight is 8oz so they are in line with a light weight philosophy. They also are windproof and somewhat water resisitant. I have the top and have been comfortable hiking in below freezing temps. I might question the durabilty if you are bush wacking though, the material does “pick”. You might also get some strange looks in town, something about guys in tights seemes to get a few chuckles. But if function not fashion is your main concern you might give them a look. I’ve been considering a pair for myself

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

If you are comfortable hiking in shorts with the addition of Rainshield o2 pants when it rains or gets colder than I would say get a new pair of O2 pants. Even though they wear out, they are cheap when compared to most “do everything” softshell pants.

Of the materials you listed, I like Interia (haven’t tried Interia Plus) for three season backpacking. Dryskin is too warm. I found Dynamic has a more limited comfort range than Interia. The only time I would take Dynamic over Interia is if I was climbing because Dynamic is a more durable material. I have found that Dynamic and Interia can stand up to light drizzle for a couple of hours before soaking thru. They both will completely wet out in less than 30 minutes in a hard rain.

The different (at least last year) between the Prospector and Rodeo was basic style. Rodeo has a webbing belt and side zipper pockets, with the Prospector having a drawstring for the waist and open pockets.

One alternative which I have not tried.. but seems like it would be promising would be a pair of sahalie’s ultralight tights and something like the Montane Featherlite wind pants. Both dry super quick, are light weight, and the Montane Featherlite are suprisingly durable. But I haven’t gotten around to try this. Depending on the weather I either take shorts + frogg togg pants, or rodeo pants + frogg togg rain pants.

Tony Burnett
    Spectator

@tlbj6142

Both responses are worth considering. I think I have found a local source for Cloudveil gear (a high dollar [like $25K+ membership fees] country club pro shop of all places), so I hope to get a chance to touch/feel the Peak Pants (Rodeo *and* prospector pant replacement).

I love my windshirt so much, I’m not sure why I didn’t think of the tight/shell idea for the legs. I own a pair of the UL tights, but found them a bit too cool for the hour, or so, of daily camp time on my last trip. And that was in mild temps (40F+). They were perfect for sleeping in. Combined with the shell, however, that just might work.

I’ve been wanting to “break the ice” on my first garment sewing project. So, for ~$25, I could buy the 1.1ripstop kit from http://www.thru-hiker.com and give it a try.

Though the Montane pants are onsale at backcountrygear for $56.

Dane Burke

@dane

Locale: Western Washington

thru-hiker.com is supposedly making improvements on their Liberty Ridge Shell Pants kit, and last time I checked the site they said it would not be available until this fall. Their Liberty Ridge Wind Shirt kit is still for sale. I recently purchased the wind shirt kit and an extra two yards of the same fabric for the pants. I will be using a pajama pants pattern for the wind pants, adjusting the fit so that they aren’t so baggy. My girlfriend is teaching me how to sew and she says the pants would make an easy first project.

Paul Luther
    BPL Member

@eredluin

Locale: Northeast

Thanks for the tip on the Montane Featherlight Pants. Backcountry Gear says to go one size up on the fit. Is this true? I’m usually a 31/31. Thanks.
    Paul

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Featherlite pants are $45 at http://basegear.com/featherpants.html

Yes, size up one. I normally wear a size “L” (34/32) and the XL Montane is what I got. They fit well.

–mark

Paul Luther
    BPL Member

@eredluin

Locale: Northeast

Mark, thank you for the link and sizing information.
    Paul

Tony Burnett
    Spectator

@tlbj6142

…I own a Montane Aero, Size L. Its almost too big, I can easily wear a base layer _and_ a heavy fleece underneath without any binding.

With just about every other shirt (cotton t-shirts, base layers, etc.), I wear an XL.

Now my Size L Marmot Chinook (’03) is perfect on my shoulders but a bit too tight on my fat gut. Guess I’m not “semi-athletic”.<g>

Anonymous

I agree. I also bought an Aero a size larger based on other posts I saw. I usually wear a medium sometimes large – I got the large and it’s too big. Maybe they changed the sizing on the new design of the Aero?

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

The Liberty Ridge pants kit is now available at http://www.thru-hiker.com

And yes, it is a good easy first sewing project.

2.7 oz for 42″ waist 31″ inseam, made from 1.1oz/yd fabric, flat 1/4″ nylon drawcord and cordlock around the waist and no leg zips. A smaller size using 0.8oz/yd fabric could come in under 2 oz!

David Colbert
    BPL Member

@adkphoto

Locale: Central, New York

Tony –

To answer your question about Schoeller Dynamic, here’s my experience with my Schoeller pants:

* Very wind and water resistant, but not water proof .
    * Very comfortable feel and nice stretch.
    * Very breathable.
    * I’ve comfortably used them in a wide range of temperatures from well below freezing to high 70s F. They make an ideal winter hiking pant over long johns (when it’s cold enough to warrant).

The Schoeller pants are a little heavier and bulkier than my nylon taffetta pants, but there is no comparison with any other feature. I prefer to use the Schoeller pants in winter, spring, and fall, and the taffetta pants in the summer.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools