Topic

What’s Your Weakness?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What’s Your Weakness?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Sunny Waller
    BPL Member

@dancer

Locale: Southeast USA

Mine is Shelter. My current list: Hexamid, Lunar Solo, Gatewood Cape, Golite Hex, Speer Hammock, BPL Bivy & Tarp. I sold my Squall Classic because of the noisey spinnaker fabric, and sold my Contrail because I like side entry better. The Gatewood cape is too hard to pitch, the bivy/tarp combo is very confining during bug season, the Lunar Solo is small.. I feel like Goldielocks. My favorites are Golite Hex & the Hexamid for the space you get. I love the Hexamid the most but will probably use the Hex in the winter because I can block out the wind better and I sleep VERY cold. Some of you are probably laughing at this shelter addiction of mine but some of you are laughing with me. What is YOUR Weakness??

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

ive got 8 pairs,plus 2 pairs of approach shoes, plus 2 pairs of mountain boots

call me emelda marcos .. lol

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

repetitive circular thought patterns

Andy Berner
    BPL Member

@berner9

Locale: Michigan

Pattern is the problem I have.

goes like this. Buy, sell, buy, sell, buy, sell.

I don't wanna say how many things Ive had twice before.

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

Shelters for me too! I can't even catch up to use each shelter on at least 1 trip. I have more shelters than trips I will take in the next 2 years!

I am such a loser!

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

I have something going with packs. I don't know what it is, but I seem to buy way to many. I just saw on Gear Deals someone looking for a MLD Burn. Do I have one…yes. Do I use it…no. Will I sell it…no. I seem to have a stack of them. MLD, GoLite, Gregory, Osprey, Kelty,…endless. My go to is my Exos Osprey, I love the comfort of this pack.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Hats.

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Locale: Northern California

Id say if I had a weakness it would be shelters…..but still being a college student living off of loans, I still have the same tent my pops and I used…thing is probably at least 15 years old!! Ill be finishing up nursing school in 12 months, and have a list of backpacking equipment I will be upgrading to when I get my first few pay checks. The list includes a new pad, sleeping bag, several shelters, clothes, gravity water filter, teking poles…the list goes on and on. its torture seeing all this amazing equipment and not being able to afford any of it! Feel lucky to be able to buy what you want, when you want!

Ole Saether
    BPL Member

@osaether

Locale: Norway

Hilleberg tents! I have three of them, Staika, Jannu and Kaitum 3 GT (all colored red). I also have the Hilleberg Tarp UL 10 and the Bivanorak…

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Shelters and pots.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Beer….er, I mean shelters.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

What, I have to choose? Where's the all-of-them category?

Okay, cameras, no, wait, wine, uh, how about bicycles, naw, flashlights, naw, packs maybe…sheesh. Yeah, packs.

Rick

Jeff Antig

@antig

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I would say packs. I have so many that I had to stuff them into each other so that it'll all fit the room. The ironic part is that I still can't seem to find the perfect pack–not assuming that I ever will or anything…

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Fit, cute women wearing UL backpacks and lightweight hiking shoes.

Or did you mean something else?

Roy Staggs

@onepaddlejunkie

Locale: SEC

I have a load of stoves and cookware. I can't cook at all. I guess I'm hoping if I buy enough cooking stuff I'll learn to cook. I don't know if it works like that.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

My weakness has always been tents. I am forever looking for the "perfect" shelter. Even though I realize it's probably impossible to get the combination of features I want (I might get everything I want but only at a huge weight penalty).

But it doesn't keep me from looking!

Hal Potts

@halpotts

Locale: Middle Tennessee

Headlamps. I have about ten at last count. I try to explain to my wife how each one has a different function from the other nine. I am summarily dismissed.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

I own only 3 tents, so it must be packs because I have 8 of them and another is in the mail to me. That's without counting my 3 fanny packs.

I need to buy a pack to pack my packs in :(

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

OK… packs and tents. I like fondling packs especially — but now own only two hiking packs and one shelter. It's all under control. :)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

knives, followed closely by packs

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

>> Fit, cute women wearing UL backpacks and lightweight hiking shoes.

Douglas,

Unfortunately, there is no known cure. You will just have to learn to live with that affliction. In some cases, it can persist until you've reached a ripe old age.

An observation

Have you ever been hiking with your sweet potato and all of a sudden there is a scenic backpacker on the trail? If you inadvertently stare (even for a moment) you will probably find that your beloved is watching you watch. This situation is grizzly like.

This is when knowledge of fabric comes in handy. You quickly divert your eyes, take a deep breath and then exhale a long sentence like: you know, Honey, hopefully that backpacker has a burly, synthetic insulation contained within a windproof and highly water-resistant Pertex Quantum shell so she can keep the elements at bay during her outdoor pursuits.

Joseph Reeves
    Spectator

@umnak

Locale: Southeast Alaska

Mine are jackets. I have 5 rain jackets, more than that of fleece and some that I wear for work/play/travel.OK, not some, a lot, and those do not include sport coats. Just yesterday I dragged my wife to the gear shop to look at….jackets. Oh, I also bought a couple of Patagonia hoodies made of wool that look like sweaters, but we know they are jackets.

And then there are the tarps, but they stay in the gear closet most of the time, so it is hard to count them all at once. Unlike the coats. Let's see, 10×10, 10×12, 9×9 cantenary, 6×8, 5×7 kitchen, 7×9 kitchen, 9×9 Pyramid. Does the ½ of the old 12×12 Noah tarp now used as a sail or cover for gear figure into tarps?

But they are all light so none of these count as excess.

I used to have five sea-kayaks, but worked on that problem.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Any item that contains down. I have a few key items of down insulation (jackets, vests, and quilts), but what I do have I cherish for their warmth, low weight, craftsmanship, and intended purpose… warmth!!!

Chris Kopp

@ckopp

Locale: SoCal

I guess it would be shoes.
    2 pairs of trainers at all times
    1 pair racing flats
    1 pair spikes
    1 pair of work boots
    1 pair of nicer shoes
    1 pair sandals
    Oh, and most importantly:
    1 pair of trail runners for backpacking

Plus, there are several pairs of retired shoes sitting in the closet that need to be taken care of

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

When it comes to backpacking I HAVE way too many!

6 Shelters, 5 Backpacks- But my biggest weakness is stoves and I have way to many to even count and don't get me started on my on going need for the perfect mini speakers for my IPOD….

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools