Topic

Minox GT battery?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Minox GT battery?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Linsey Budden

@lollygag

Locale: pugetropolis

Because I’m stuck in the dark ages and want to shoot slides, I recently bought a Minox GT not realizing the 5.6 v battery was no longer available. It is said that I can use a 6 v, but has anyone done this and if so do you suggest I compensate for underexposure with asa settings and if so, how many stops?

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Linsey,
    I own a Minox MB (very similar to the GT) that I’ve had for ages and the first thing I did was replace the stock battery with a 6.0 volt one. No problems at all. I just checked mine (have not used it in a few years since switching to digital) and it looks I have a 6 volt lithium in it now.

By the way, these are great cameras, I used to shoot kodachrome 64 in mine (I wonder if Kodachrome is still even around) and took great pictures. That camera really has a good lens.

Dan

Dan

Linsey Budden

@lollygag

Dear Dan, Recently I was shocked to learn that indeed Kodachrome is still available! There is one place in the whole country that still processes it (in Texas, I think). Freestyle Photographic Supplies (www.freestylephoto.biz (800)292-6137) has the slide film. I believe they also sell the pre-paid processing mailers as does Glaziers Photographic in Seattle. By all means have them send you a catalog as it is full of goodies. I’m glad to hear some approval for the sub 6 ounce Minox. For my upcoming PCT section hike, I am also going to take my (just over 5 ounce) Holga-a super light, somewhat unpredictable plastic medium format camera that gets some respect in the world of fine art photography. Thank you for the battery info. I know very little about this tiny quazi-spy camera save that it was featured in Playboy with all the other high tech toys of 1985.

Drowned Lemming
    BPL Member

@lemming

Minox make an adaptor (Part No. 69106) for the GT, which takes LR44 or CR 1/3N batteries, with the exposure meter then working properly.

The only problem now is how to fly with film…….

Linsey Budden

@lollygag

Dear Neil, Thank you for the tip. An adapter is my ideal solution. As every site that deals with these is “temporarily out of stock”, I’ll get some 6 volts and cross my fingers the 69106 will be obtainable soon.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools