Topic

Shoes for 1600km walk

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Shoes for 1600km walk

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jesse Peeters

@jessepeeters

Locale: New Zealand

Howdy!

I'm looking for a pair of trail runners to walk the north island of New Zealand in.

I'm about this | | close to buying a pair of Saloman XT Hawks, but can't find a lot of info on them as a long distance shoe. They don't look too durable but I guess I could fork out for another pair halfway through.

I just need somebody to talk me into it…or out of it… :D

Thanks
    Jesse

Anonymous
    Inactive

I personally like Salomon's very much! I've had several pairs last me well into the 500 mile range on long distance hikes. I'd probably recommend the XT Wings over the XT Hawks because they have a little bit more support for not much weight gain. I highly recommend not buying the goretex model BTW.

Hope that helps!

Jesse Peeters

@jessepeeters

Thanks for the advice Peter.

I was looking at the XT wings as well, they definitely look more durable. But I'm on a pretty tight budget, pretty much saving my student allowance to pay for everything and I'm not too keen on forking out the extra $100NZD for the XT wings.

Anyway I got 10 days to decide before the sale ends :)

Cheers.

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

I'm not sure what you're looking at paying for either pair, but Sierra Trading Post will do a pair of XT's shipped to EnZed for NZ$140 including shipping if you sign up for their email fliers. I'm not sure if you can take another 25% off by joining them on Facebook.

I've bought a bit of stuff from them, and always found them to be really reputable.

I can also email you a US$10 voucher if you like.

Rod

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

Love my XT wings 2, can comment on mileage, but them or Speedcross 2 are my hiking shoes of choice.

Jesse Peeters

@jessepeeters

Thanks Rod you're a LEGEND!

The XT wings at my local store are on "sale" for $300! Signing up for those e-mail fliers now and if you dont mind parting with that voucher, i've got a good home for it in my inbox :)

A stranger gave me a bag of potato chips at the bus stop the other day and now this! life is good!

Jesse

Judith Humbert
    BPL Member

@singingwind

Jesse – yes, shoe prices here are steep, however I've had some success checking back at the local outfitter stores in the Auckland area for sale items and closeouts. May be worth calling around to different shops to see what's currently available. All the best with your walk.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools