Topic

Headwaters of the San Joaquin

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Headwaters of the San Joaquin

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Not my trip (sadly) but I wanted to share this reporter's account of seeking the headwaters of the (once) mighty San Joaquin, above Thousand-Island Lake in the eastern Sierra.

http://blogs.esanjoaquin.com/san-joaquin-river-delta/2010/10/04/drinking-from-the-san-joaquin/

Attempts are underway to restore year-round flow to the over-subscribed river, which once supported an important fishery.

Cheers,

Rick

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

Cool story.

Coincidentally, I made that same trip with my brother last month. Agnew->1000 Island->Ediza->Agnew. Nice quick, easy loop.

Beautiful country but I couldn't believe the hordes of people and evidence of past campsites scattered around 1000 Island Lake. Ediza too, but not nearly to the same extent.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Beautiful country but I couldn't believe the hordes of people and evidence of past campsites scattered around 1000 Island Lake. Ediza too, but not nearly to the same extent."

A more rewarding option might be to hike in to Martha Lake, the source of the South Fork of the San Joaquin. It's practically deserted by comparison, and is on the threshold of some very beautiful, wild country. There are several ways to get there, depending on your time constraints and taste for adventure.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Martha Lake"

And then you are right there for bagging Mount Goddard!

–B.G.–

Anonymous
    Inactive

"And then you are right there for bagging Mount Goddard!"

Among other adventures. ;)

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

Thanks Tom and Bob!

This trip was my first time hiking in this area of the Sierras. Though, now that my brother lives in Mammoth, I think we'll be doing a lot more trips around there.

Adventurous, on or off-trail jaunts away from the crowds sound like something we'd like to see more of. My brother is just starting to get into the lightweight philosophy and definitely has the bug right now for more trips.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

There is another event coming up soon where I may be participating. One team drives to Lake Edison (west side) and starts hiking east early on Saturday. They finish at Rock Creek (east side) that evening, after about 23 miles. The second team drives to Rock Creek on Saturday, picks up the first team, they camp overnight, and then the first team drops off the second team at the Rock Creek TH early on Sunday to hike west. The second team should arrive at Lake Edison by that evening. Each team drives the other team's vehicle back home to the Bay Area. The only thing now is that we have to watch the weather forecast very carefully. Mono Pass is about 12,000', so there could be some new snow. If there is more than a few inches, we are likely to scratch.

–B.G.–

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Adventurous, on or off-trail jaunts away from the crowds sound like something we'd like to see more of. My brother is just starting to get into the lightweight philosophy and definitely has the bug right now for more trips."

You guys are going to have a lot of fun if you get started in that area. One thing leads to another, to another…

Have a great time.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Remember, if you hike in from Florence Lake to bag Mount Goddard, you need to pass by the Pig Chute.

And then on your way back out to Florence Lake, you want to stop off at Blaney Hot Springs for recuperation.

–B.G.–

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools