Topic

Backpacking as coping skill

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Backpacking as coping skill

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

2010 has been a hard year for me. It's also been a brilliant year, especially since I finished graduate school in May. I've done at least four backpacking trips since then that easily make the lifetime top ten list.

There's a connection between the two. I left grad school feeling ambivalent. For all of April and May I was in full survial mode, and graduated feeling like I had rolled across the finish line in a heap, gravel down my shirt and under my skin. I would have prefered a more orderly, controlled end to the affair, but do give myself credit for making it at all.

I needed some centering after that, and my solo traverse of the Thorofare in May delivered. I was able to go into a summer internship, more adventures, and the job hunt with a much better demeanor. It took a while, but aside from a season of amazing trips, that calm has paid off. I (finally!) got a full time position last week, and will be moving a few hours north to Kalispell, Montana soon. It promises to be a great job at a great organization, and I'll have Glacier NP and the Bob at my doorstep.

http://vimeo.com/15522572

I put this video together yesterday, as a way to review the year, organize my thoughts, and put some of the doubt and regret behind me. It was a nicely cathartic process.

Backpacking kept me mentally and physically healthy this year, and for that I am thankful.

To backpacking!

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Great video. Thanks Dave!

Brian Camprini
    BPL Member

@bcamprini

Locale: Southern Appalachians

Cool video. Congrats on graduating and on the new gig. I always enjoy reading your posts and blog–lot's of good, useful info and fuel for trip planning. Pat yourself on the back.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Thanks guys. I foresee a good winter of backcountry in my future.

Andy Schill

@aschill

Great Video, Congrats on grad school.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Dave, that video was so good, I friggin' loved it. Your videos are always awesome. Congrats on your achievements.

Matt F
    BPL Member

@matt_f

Dave –

Fantastic video. It hit home in part because I'm in the midst of my fourth year of medical school and time spent in the backcountry has been an invaluable source of balance (sanity?), and you captured this in dramatic fashion. It looked like you were (successfully) defending a thesis – Congrats on graduation and on the new gig!

As long as we're heaping praise on you, thanks for your contributions to the forums. You provide a lot of sound advice for rugged, skill-heavy styles of travel…the sort of thing that makes reading these forums worthwhile. Thanks for taking the time to share your projects and insights.

Matt

Nick Truax
    BPL Member

@nicktruax

Locale: SW Montana

Always a pleasure. Gongrats and much props to all of your endeavors!

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Yes, to backpacking!

Nice video and congratulations on the landing of a promising job!

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Thanks everyone, I'm glad my stuff is useful for others.

Good luck finished med school Matt. My little sister is in her third year, and holy cow does it look like a stressful way to spend some time!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

GO GRIZZLIES :) Congrats!

Travis Helton

@tj_hiker

Locale: Pacific NorthWest

Nice job landing anything in Kalispell! I'm currently saving to move their myself. I have to have at least 6 months income saved up so I can cover rent and other expenses while job hunting their. Ive perused the CraigsList ads the last few months and a few other sites and Ive come to the conclusion that it is slim pickins over there right now. Cant wait though! Should have enough saved up by May.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

David,

Great video! After you get settled in in Kalispell PM me and I'll introduce you to my friends at the Bob Marshall Wilderness Organization, based in nearby Hungry Horse.

Richard

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools