Topic

My Current Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists My Current Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jason McSpadden
    BPL Member

@jbmcsr1

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I've been backpacking for 40 years. I've always loved it but I've always carried too much stuff. In about 1997 at the Chinook Book Stores in Colorado Springs, I came across Ray Jardine's Book The Pacific Crest Trail Hikers Handbook and things began to change. This forum has also made a big difference in my enjoyment of backpacking. And helping me with my equipment choices.

Below is my current equipment list that used this summer on 5 trips. The Snow Peak mug/lid I've only used once but before that I used a Kmart Grease Pot and Caldera Cone set up. The items that I didn't use on my list this summer are: Down jacket (except as a pillow), wooden matches (they are a backup), extra socks (I was able to avoid too many bogs and mud pits this year), First aid kit, and bandanna.

I know that a few items could be lighter. For example the tarp is palatial but offered great coverage for some storms. This is my first year with the Golite quilt but it is much lighter than my Ray Way synthetic quilt. The windbreaker and down jacket are XLT in size and fit great.

I also know that there is nothing earth shattering on this list but I just wanted to share what has been working for me in the Colorado Rockies this summer. And if you had any suggestions for improvements and modifications.

Clothing/Equipment Worn:

Pants Golite Yunnan 11.00 

Belt 2.5
    Long Sleeve Thermax top w/zipper 9.7

Underwear 2.7

Socks 2 pair – nylon 2.8
    Running Shoes—New Balance Sz. 13 20.0

REI Safari Hat 3.7

Komperdell C-3 Poles 14.4

Eyeglasses/Sunglasses 1.2

Watch/compass on wristband
    68 ozs. ( 4.25 lbs.)

Packing:
    Pack—MYOG Ray Way 12
    Trash Compactor Bag Pack Liner 2.2
    Stuff Sacks 1.4
    15.6 ozs

Shelter:
    Tarp—MYOG Ray Way (10’ x 7.5’) 14.8
    Stakes (10) 2.3
    Mosquito Headnet .6
    Ground cloth polycryo 1.8
    18.9 ozs

Sleeping:

Quilt—Golite Ultra 20 (Long) 28.0

Sleeping Pad—Blue CCF Folding 6.6
    34.6 ozs.

Other Clothing:
    Windbreaker w/hood–Lowe 7.0
    Rain Jacket—Dry Ducks 6.0
    Down Jacket—Eddie Bauer 14.3

Balaclava 1.7

2 Pair Extra Nylon Socks 2.8
    Gloves 2.7

Bandana .9

35.4 ozs

Cooking:
    Mug/Pot Snow Peak 600 2.8

Lid Four Dog .6
    12-10 Alcohol Stove .5
    Caldera Cone Windscreen 1.2
    Fuel Bottle .7

Spoon Lexan .3
    6.1 ozs.

Miscellaneous:

7 Wooden Matches, Striker and Fire Starter .1
    Lighter Mini Bic .4
    Water Bottle 1 liter Platy .8
    Water Purification—Aquamira .6

Bear Bag Equipment 1.7
    First Aid Kit 1.4
    Toothbrush .3
    Sunscreen .5
    Insect Repellant Picaridin .6
    Lip balm .2 

Dr. Bronners Soap .2
    Knife—Derma Safe Razor .2
    Flashlight—Photon Micro Freedom with clip .4
    1 MYOG Eyeglass case .2
    Map (Varies) 1.5
    9.1 ozs.

Total

119.8 ozs. 7.48 pounds Total Base Weight Carried

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Great list! You're basically about as low as you can go without starting to really shave ounces and getting obsessive. Some weight improvements (comfort loss) you seem aware of already (like downsizing the tarp). You could also replace the tarp with a cuben version which should save some weight, but cost you $250+. The other way to go lighter would be leaving out items based on expected weather conditions and length of trip, not just finding lighter weight versions.

One piece though that could be replaced would be your windshell. Even with a hood and XLT you should be able to find sub 5oz shells. Or make a liberty ridge shell from thru-hiker.com out of momentum. Cost you maybe $40 to shave 2-4 oz if you want to be nit-picky.

I'm absolutely THRILLED that you listed a belt. This is the single most neglected piece of gear on any list that I've noticed. I don't know if people cheat and just "forget" to list it or if they truly go without and rely on elastic waists and cinch cords. I hope it's the former actually. A belt is one of the most useful and versatile pieces of gear. It carries easily (and with function) by hold your pants up obviously. But with a proper buckle system it can double as a sling. It's also a great addition to a first aid kit. While severe injuries are rare, should someone trip and impale themselves, having a belt to make a tourniquet is life saving. Also in the very rare occurrence of a snake bite, a lymphatic tourniquet is also invaluable.

Great list again and keep it up!

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Very nice!

John Davis

@bukidnon

Some outdoors trousers (e.g. Montane and Rohan) come with attached belts which can stay with the trousers in the washing machine. I include the belt's mass in with the trousers in this case. Rohan even fit a press stud for keeping belts in place on some trousers. I'm not sure how well these belts would work as tourniquets.

If I ever learn that nifty knot for turning paracord into an attractive belt, I would list the resulting belt's mass separately from any trousers.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

great list and agreed that your definitely in the "nit picky" range of shaving weight :)

few little things- the BPL liners (while more spendy) appear to be lighter- mine for a 45 liter pack only weighs 1.3 oz

I repackage my sunscren and bug dope into the very small bottles- I always have some left over from 3 day trips and they weigh in at .3 and .2 respectively- I am using 100% DEET so it may simply be that it takes less

not so little, but I went from a Patagonia down sweater- 13.2 oz to MB ex-light and cut that weight in half to 6 oz- I've kept the Pat sweater but reserve it's use for shoulder seasons/winter

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

If the belts are integrated, I would consider that part of the pant's weight as well.

I've definitely considered making my own belts as well to double as emergency rope, but it seems a fiddly process to end the chains. However having 30ft of lightweight rope should the need arise would be nice.

YouTube video

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools